Next pageLast page
476 posts:
Order:    

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 476  Thu 3rd Feb 2011 2:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1552

Many (many!) years ago, as a child in the 50's, I recall being taken to a restaurant - possibly somewhere near where New Buildings now is. I'm sure it was on the right-hand side as you walked from Broadgate. It was always packed, and long queues would form out in the street. Waitresses would stand at the door and call "Table for two?" or "Table for four?" - then leading the customers inside to their seat at tables with tablecloths. I recall having fish & chips (could be a clue!) with a slice of buttered bread - but can't ever remember eating anything else on my occasional visits there. Would this have been an early location of Fishy Moores - or some other eatery? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Tony
Restaurants, Cafes, Coffee Bars
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
2 of 476  Thu 3rd Feb 2011 4:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3075

Yes it was Fishy Moores. I used to eat there too and it was considered something of a treat at the time.
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 476  Tue 8th Feb 2011 3:52pm  

Thanks dutchman. Was it actually where I remembered it to be? i.e. on the right where New Buildings now is.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 476  Fri 11th Feb 2011 10:42pm  

Yes it was in New Buildings itself and some way down on the right as you approach from the direction of Trinity Street.
IslandCafe
Modbury, Devon
All posts by this member
5 of 476  Sat 12th Feb 2011 1:57pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

My memories of Fishy Moores go back to when I was fifteen years old and employed as an electricians "gofor", I had pushed the iron wheeled handcart through town from Walsall Conduits in Queen Victoria Rd with the cables and such as was needed for the job (80p for a 48 hr week) and walking into the restaurant I was fascinated by the huge aquarium which was set into one of the walls and all the tables and chairs laid out. I had never been in a restaurant before and couldn't believe the luxury. How times change! Alan
Alan

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 476  Mon 14th Feb 2011 9:50am  
Off-topic / chat  

Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
7 of 476  Wed 27th Jul 2011 3:24pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:126

Does anyone recall the 2 restaurants, one in Hales Street, the other in Queen Victoria Road, known as (I think) Swiss Alps??? Who owned them, what happened to them??
Elaine
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 476  Wed 27th Jul 2011 4:07pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:68

I remember them both but we went to the Queen Victoria Road one more often. It had an open fire at one side of the room, sort of built up with bricks and a hood over it - I don't recall it being used as a fire, just a focal point to make it look like a chalet.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 476  Wed 27th Jul 2011 4:40pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2864

Talking of restaurants, I remember as a child after the war, there was a temporary restaurant built in Gosford Park, it was called The British Restaurant, and from what my mother told me it catered for cheaper meals. I vaguely remember a marquee type of building. It was at the top end of the park and I loved the jam tart and custard. It must have been erected to cater for all those who no longer had a place to eat because of the bombing in the city. I hope someone remembers it as I am beginning to feel quite ancient!!!!! Also wasn't there a restaurant above the Opera House in Hales Street?
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
10 of 476  Wed 27th Jul 2011 5:09pm  

I believe there were quite a few "British Restaurants" dotted around Coventry? I think I've seen references to ones in Broadgate and Albany Road.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 476  Thu 28th Jul 2011 2:52am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2864

Thank goodness for you Dutchman, at least I know I wasn't dreaming. I probably remember that one because it was just over the road from King Richard Street where my mother looked after a little grocery shop. Also it reminds me of the lovely large water fountain right on the corner, well it looked large to me at the time and very Victorian looking I thought. Bye for now.
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
12 of 476  Thu 28th Jul 2011 6:53am  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:130

On 27th Jul 2011 5:09 pm, dutchman said: I believe there were quite a few "British Restaurants" dotted around Coventry? I think I've seen references to ones in Broadgate and Albany Road.
I think the Broadgate one may have become Lyons.
Regards Innis Road

Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
13 of 476  Thu 25th Aug 2011 6:26pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:126

Anyone have any memories of The Captains Table on Primrose Hill Street? I recall it having a fishermans/pirate theme with fishing nets, lobster pots etc. and being rather dimly lit. I only ever went once, as dining out was a rare treat as a teenager in the mid to late 60's. I don't recall what I ate but I do remember feeling rather privileged and posh back then.
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 476  Thu 25th Aug 2011 9:07pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:263

Hi Bad boy, I well remember The Captains Table as I grew up in Hillfields. From what I recall you have given an accurate description, however I was obviously not as posh and privileged as you because I don't think I ever had a meal there. As you said Bad boy we didn't dine out so much back then, unless it was a Wimpy Bar! Wink Big grin Big grin
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 476  Thu 25th Aug 2011 9:10pm  

Wasn't this one of two restaurants owned by the same proprietors? - the other being in the town centre somewhere? Can't for the life of me recall the location or name of the other. I never went but I'm sure I remember my dad saying he had eaten there.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 476 posts

Page 1 of 32

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .. 28 29 30 31 32
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Gas Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Canley (inc. Sir Henry Parkes School)
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 64ms)