Next pageNo action
36 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 36  Sun 10th Jan 2016 12:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:486

My wife used to do a lot of dress and curtain making at one time and I seem to remember material was sold by imperial width, but by metric length which is probably about as confusing (or integrated) as you can get. I don't know if this was widespread or just the outlets she used to use.
Non-Coventry - Measurement - Imperial v Metric
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
17 of 36  Mon 11th Jan 2016 6:25pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

I posted this in Dec 2014 on another thread: Drove past a Chinese "All-you-can-eat" buffet restaurant today in Stratford-on-Avon - amongst the signs in the window was one which said "1/2 price meals for children under 140cm" I remarked to the present Mrs Red that this meant nothing to me (as I have no feel for metric measurements) - then I pondered whether, for consistency, it should have started "0.5 price . . ." Oh for the good old days of farthings and half-crowns; rods, poles and perches; pounds and ounces; miles and furlongs Oh my Wink
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
18 of 36  Tue 12th Jan 2016 12:29am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3124

A definite 'Yes' from me too. Confusion, the price we pay for progress! Roll eyes
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
19 of 36  Sun 31st Jan 2016 9:02pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Oh I HATE metric and refuse to use it whenever I can! Causes me a few problems though, like having to print out my metric recipes in imperial, or find my tape measure if I want to send away for a rug, and I am lost if I want to buy new curtains. Yes yes yes, bring back feet and inches and pounds and ounces. I knew where I was then! As for my weight, well, I haven't a clue what I weigh in metric, but then perhaps that is as well. Oh my
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
20 of 36  Mon 1st Feb 2016 7:29am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4053

Hi all Wave Whilst we have precise conversion rates for larger calculations, as a thumb rule I think of a metre as a yard & 30cm as a foot. Hope that helps.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
21 of 36  Mon 1st Feb 2016 9:04pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:559

Funny you should say that Philip. I keep conversions in my head and use them all the time, but a foot to me is 300 millimetres and an 8 x 4 ft sheet of plywood is 2440 x 1220 millimetres. I know a metre is approx. 39 inches and 100 millimetres is 4 inches, 200 is 8 inches etc, so I always convert my height and weight using one kilo equals 2.2 lbs, 14 lbs = one stone, 454 grams = 1 lb. Both my daughters stick their children up against a door post and mark their height and measure them in feet and inches. My son in law is an engineer and works with very fine tolerances, the Americans are still prominent in this field and work in imperial. While I`m not particularly advocating we return to imperial, it will not die and I think we are doing our youngsters a disservice if they don`t learn to use both systems with equal facility.
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 36  Fri 4th May 2018 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:263

Sad but funny - am currently listening to a talking book based on the wartime diary of a small grocer. The narrator was obviously reading from a transcript and suddenly said `Mrs Smith came in to buy some bacon and put one ess six dee on the counter`. So sad that our pre-decimal currency has been confined to the dustbin of history so soon.
charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
23 of 36  Sun 6th May 2018 5:01pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:167

I found a children's gardening book (Ladybird, I think) which translated every measurement exactly. It read "Plant the potatoes 15.2 cm deep", "The plant usually grows to about 30.5cm in height", etc. Silly people!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
24 of 36  Sun 6th May 2018 5:56pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1337

Ha ha - I can just imagine kids out in the garden with their plastic rules trying to get a seed buried down to the nearest millimetre! Wink
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
25 of 36  Sun 6th May 2018 9:48pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:356

I hate British culture being flushed down the toilet. One thing with me, I usually think of them large Coke bottles as 2 quart bottles.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
26 of 36  Sun 6th May 2018 10:36pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:559

On 4th May 2018 6:51pm, Greg said: Sad but funny - am currently listening to a talking book based on the wartime diary of a small grocer. The narrator was obviously reading from a transcript and suddenly said `Mrs Smith came in to buy some bacon and put one ess six dee on the counter`. So sad that our pre-decimal currency has been confined to the dustbin of history so soon.
Greg, I don`t know if this is uncanny, but I was digging the flower border this morning and picked up an old sixpence. Dated 1941 Remember we used to call them a "tanner"
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
27 of 36  Mon 7th May 2018 5:13am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3124

A generation gap or what but when I go to my second home - Bunnings - I still measure in feet and inches and have to convert to metric. I really must 'get with it' Roll eyes Edited by member, 7th May 2018 5:32 am
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
28 of 36  Tue 8th May 2018 8:24am  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:140

As having worked in engineering most of my life, being born in 1944, I am quite conversant with either, especially those that are in my field. I worked on industrial gas and boilers, pumps and the like. Could cope with either, but mostly stuck to my imperial and did conversions. Most common ones were always in my head, btu to kw psi to mtrs or kg. Had books of conversion factors, still have them. Was a nerd, always loved doing mental arithmetics. 1 cm of natural gas 35 cf. Happy days.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
29 of 36  Tue 8th May 2018 9:08am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2295

I spent over a score years learning imperial, how do I get rid of it? I have a broody hen, I want to put a dozen eggs under her how do I tell her to lay a dozen in metric? We have a 24 hour day, but the clock face has not changed to metric - why? We have 8 furlongs a mile, not been changed - why? One could go on.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
30 of 36  Tue 8th May 2018 10:19am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1241

It is a good job we were not ruled by France during the French revolution when the introduced a decimal calendar. When I worked for Florette, a French company I had to pay the international invoices in decades, ie. every 10 days.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 30 of 36 posts

Page 2 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Sorry state (non-Cov)
|

Next (newer) topic

Things you see (non-Cov)