Topic categories:

Broadgate

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 60 of 833 posts

Page 4 of 56

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 . 52 53 54 55 56
Next pageLast page
833 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 833  Wed 21st Dec 2011 10:02pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2614

The sooner they get rid of Cathedral Lanes the better. There's hardly anything left in it now anyway! I was trying to look under the layers that had been revealed when they were digging down before laying the paving the other week.
Broadgate
erwegoagen
Coventry Wyken
All posts by this member
47 of 833  Fri 23rd Dec 2011 11:47am  
Member: Joined Sep 2010  Total posts:28

Don't worry too much if you don't like Broadgate when they have finished paving it. They'll dig it up next year. I understand they are thinking about having a big green Island in the middle with Godiva and the traffic going round it!! Oh my That'll be new won't it?? Thumbs up ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Broadgate
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
48 of 833  Fri 23rd Dec 2011 6:08pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2148

Wave Oh thank you for that information erwegoagen, Thumbs up that's great news, Dreamtime will be thrilled when she hears this good news of Broadgate returning to an island with greenery, mmm I wonder where they got that idea from perhaps maybe they have been reading Historic Coventry's forum he he haha Big grin Wink
Broadgate
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
49 of 833  Mon 2nd Jan 2012 1:51pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:545

Do you think they'll have the subways back to help us cross the roads? Wink
Broadgate
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
50 of 833  Mon 2nd Jan 2012 2:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1572

No, don't think so. In fact they are removing the last of them at the moment! Sad
Broadgate
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
51 of 833  Mon 2nd Jan 2012 2:19pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:545

Thanks TonyS, I'm pleased about that. I never did feel safe in them, especially at night. Thumbs up
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
52 of 833  Mon 2nd Jan 2012 4:02pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3515

On 23rd Dec 2011 11:47am, erwegoagen said: I understand they are thinking about having a big green Island in the middle with Godiva and the traffic going round it !! Oh my That'll be new won't it?? Thumbs up
Mmm, that would be too much to hope for. I am thinking if I was there I could get up on the horse with Lady G and protest (I might need a leg up though) but I did make a new year resolution not to whinge any more, and I have a lot of respect for monuments so I will pass on that one. However, I am glad you all feel the same way as I do about Broadgate. Happy It is a wonder Lady G isn't feeling giddy by now, she has faced all directions now hasn't she? Oh my
Broadgate
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
53 of 833  Mon 2nd Jan 2012 4:21pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:561

Maybe we need a 2012 Lady Godiva to do a rerun, and get a few things put right? Thumbs up
Broadgate
Doug Wesley
Coventry West Midlands.
All posts by this member
54 of 833  Mon 27th Feb 2012 7:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:53

Do any of our "beloved" overpaid Councillors ever look at this website? If so, I do hope they are highly embarrassed by the comments about 'Broadgate being such an eyesore' compared to years ago mentioned by so many of our citizens on this site. A child could tell these "experts" why our town centres are "dying". You don't need to pay some shopping tsar a fortune to realise it's because of the high car park charges & the way the shops are badly spaced. As someone said earlier, why would you pay a "fortune" to park your car after queuing up to get in the carpark for ages, when you can drive to a retail shopping park, & park for free? It's not rocket science Councillors! Doh! Homer Simpson could have worked that out. The only town centre I like shopping in is Leamington Spa, & even there the greedy Council has stopped free parking in most places near the city centre. When will they learn? Thumbs up
Broadgate
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
55 of 833  Wed 29th Feb 2012 8:41am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5581

News from today's Telegraph of the planting of the first tree in Broadgate Oh my First tree planted in Coventry's new Broadgate square
Broadgate
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
56 of 833  Wed 29th Feb 2012 2:11pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1572

Looks a little forlorn when you take a step back and look at the wider view, and wonder, why plant it in the middle of a building site? I can't see it all being ready at the rate they are progressing Sad
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
57 of 833  Wed 29th Feb 2012 4:24pm  

I thought there were already a number of trees planted in 'the square'. Beautiful established trees too. What happened to them. They could have just as easily paved round those. What a waste of money. Oh my
Broadgate
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
58 of 833  Wed 29th Feb 2012 10:18pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:892

I didn't think they could make Broadgate ever duller and drearier, but they have managed it. Sorry, I don't like it now, I didn't like it much 23 years ago, and I hated it with that stupid canopy. Personally, I prefer its pre-war configuration with good links down to Hertford Street/Trinity Street/The Burges (Not that horrible tunnel and the odd way Primark juts out and leaves a towering blank wall facing Holy Trinity and the Burges) When it was the intersection of the city's main spinal routes, then it was a busy place and a proper city square. Now it's just a shopping plaza in decline. People in Coventry long for something that never existed - you've never been able to see the Cathedral from the precinct, other than the tower. The topography of the land means it's on the other side of a hill to the precinct, and there's also County Hall in the way (And before Cathedral Lanes, the old Library.) Cathedral Lanes must be almost empty these days? I have no time for patches of green in city centres either. If I want greenery I'll go to a park or the countryside or move to Milton Keynes which is very green. Cities are all about the built environment, density of people and services. In Coventry city centre there are actually plenty of green spaces, but they're mainly there to hide the fact that no one wants to do anything with the land! Such as the land around the old Gatehouse on Much Park Street.
Broadgate
Jaytob
Derbyshire
All posts by this member
59 of 833  Wed 29th Feb 2012 10:49pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:52

On 29th Feb 2012 10:18pm, flapdoodle said: I have no time for patches of green in city centres either.
I totally disagree with your comment. I think most people like to see some green space to break up the 'concrete jungle'. You only have to go into the city centre in the summer and everyone flocks to sit on the small patch of grass outside the library.
Broadgate
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
60 of 833  Thu 1st Mar 2012 3:25am  

I totally agree to having good links to Hertford Street and so on. The heart and soul has been ripped out of the city and all the historical areas are being pushed out of the way including the beloved cathedrals (old and new). It's ironic that I thought that was was Coventry was known for. As for Primark - you have hit the nail on the head Flapdoodle. Wave Now you have made me break my new year resolution, not to whinge anymore, just can't help it. Roll eyes
Broadgate

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 60 of 833 posts

Page 4 of 56

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 . 52 53 54 55 56
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Courthouse Green
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weather & Blether
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 70ms