No actionNo action
67 posts:
Order:    

dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
61 of 67  Thu 5th Dec 2019 7:24pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:238

No need to add any comments, it's just to show people a bit of life at Christmas past Short video from 17th December 2014
Memories and Nostalgia - Visiting Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
62 of 67  Thu 5th Dec 2019 7:48pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5529

Thanks, dougie Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
63 of 67  Fri 6th Dec 2019 2:11am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3413

Many thanks from me too Dougie. No matter how many times I look in my roots are still there. Thumbs up
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
64 of 67  Wed 11th Dec 2019 9:07pm  

Hi to my Coventry friends. Just like to upload this one photo so people will see why we have so close contact with Coventry. This is our extended family taken at the retirement of the father-in-law in the 70s, so it must have doubled by now. (some will know we've been visiting since 1960, so have seen all the changes over the years to the city you have).
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
65 of 67  Thu 12th Dec 2019 12:34pm  

Hi, it's me again only trying to help Smile I've just looked at my bookings made on 5th December. I paid May £127 (now £188), Aug £120 (now £193), so made a saving of £134 by booking provisionally. This is only showing the price will go up before my trip to Coventry so if any out of townees would like to come to Coventry for a few days book as soon as you can Thumbs up THEY WILL GO UP, I GUARANTEE!!
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
66 of 67  Thu 30th Jan 2020 9:05pm  

Smile I know as an outsider to your city I shouldn't keep sticking my nose in, but I passed my driving test in 1959 but couldn't afford a car, with getting married and all that till 1966. So for the first few years we had to come down by coach or hire a car. All this talk about road name changes in the 60s, I can see why Smile I would like to hear how you drivers managed with all the roadworks, shop clearances that were going on before the ring road got finished. I can only say it was hell on earth for drivers in my opinion. Most of the time you would have four lanes of traffic all going the same way and you had to keep changing from left to right and on the way, would anyone let you in Oh my So I made a big card to put in my back window - I'M FROM WIGAN - and I tell you it worked. One more thing then I’m off. The very first traffic lights on a zebra crossing that I had seen that would change to red to stop the traffic while people crossed, then start the yellow one flashing to let you go if all clear before changing to green, was in the 60s in Coventry.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
67 of 67  Sat 1st Feb 2020 12:05pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1642

Dougie, my dad drove a bread van for a living so was an experienced driver but as a local he very rarely took a route through the city. it was quite easy to drive from one suburb to another. My grandparents lived in Wainbody Avenue, Green Lane but we would always go through Earlsdon. I think once the ring road was built people must have thought it was the only possible way to get from one place to another and some of the outlying routes were made more difficult.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 67 of 67 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Trinity Church Hall / Art Schools
|

Next (newer) topic

Fleet Street