No actionNo action
33 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
31 of 33  Sat 21st Jan 2017 11:16pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:710

It's all very complicated and I keep reading slightly different versions. Originally Priory Lane didn't exist and what we now think of New Buildings was called Priory Lane. They were 'new buildings', built during the English Civil War (1650ish) to house people excluded from their properties just outside the walls, so that they could be cleared for a kill zone. At some point after 1750, some more buildings were added and it may be for them that it was named. Edited by member, 21st Jan 2017 11:17 pm
New Buildings
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
32 of 33  Sun 22nd Jan 2017 12:30pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1022

Hi Helen. A bit of information from some old books I have downloaded on Google Play. History of Coventry 1852 says in 1642 the New Buildings were built on the site of the Priory. The History and Antiquities of the City of Coventry says the same but also says a great number of buildings were pulled down without the walls. Perhaps the name was to encourage the people who were having their houses knocked down to come inside the walls and live there ! There is also this little sketch and a little history which may make more sense to you. There is also a newspaper article from 1825 that says that 3 front and 7 back dwelling houses with spacious yard and outbuildings at New Buildings near to the Mill Dam were lately rebuilt in a most substantial manor & forms a desireable investment Edited by member, 22nd Jan 2017 12:37 pm
New Buildings
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
33 of 33  Tue 16th May 2017 10:57am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:710

Anne, thanks for that information - I missed your post back in January. Yes, I can see where those buildings were rebuilt. The ones closer to Hill Top were rebuilt taller and deeper than the original ones. I've got some precious drawings made by kids, that show parts of that area before the rebuilding. Some of them I've been able to place with 100% accuracy and the others are more of a guess. I think it was that building work that maybe triggered the name. Looking at the 1750 map, it was called Priory Lane. What I don't know is when the big retaining wall and the courts were built at the back of the row that curves round the priory. The earliest buildings respected the footprint of the priory. Neil's photo shows the wall and the courts. Edited by member, 16th May 2017 10:59 am
New Buildings

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 33 of 33 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Medieval Coventry Conference
|

Next (newer) topic

Big freezes
View similar topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 58ms)