No actionNo action
52 posts:
Order:    

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
46 of 52  Fri 19th Feb 2016 12:08pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Janey is quite correct, this thread is no longer amusing or Coventry related. But I would like to say one last thing about Henrietta St. The Birmingham pub bombing was on our patch.The ambulance service was criticised for a slow turn out but there was a good reason for that. In those days there were four exit doors that had always been manually operated. 1974 the doors were being converted to be raised by electric motors that could be operated from the mess room. Good idea, a shout came into the mess, the crew to go out would push a button and by the time the crew arrived at the vehicle the doors would be open. Not so on that November evening as two doors were not operational because of the conversions were not complete. Six vehicles were sent to the Mulberry but when we arrived three vehicles were told to go to the Tavern in the Town. There was a new lad named Les Crisp but he acquired the nickname Pringle for obvious reasons. He was on the shift before my shift but he came to the Tavern in his own car to assist. He has written several books with the pen name Les Pringle about life at Henrietta St that may still be available.
Just old and knackered

Non-Coventry - Embarrassing moments
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
47 of 52  Fri 19th Feb 2016 12:45pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:197

Sorry Janey, I was just trying to help Norman confirm a few things about his former place of employment. It would have been funnier if we could have confirmed that a flying rock cake made the hole in the steel beam but will have to content ourselves with Kaga's wonderful story about the long ago ablutions in Aldermans Green - you can almost imagine the sounds and aromas coming from those outside privvies.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
48 of 52  Sat 20th Feb 2016 11:03am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2130

I think Janey is looking for the classic embarrassment of man, so . . . I called into Gosford Green swimming pool late one afternoon, it had not been a really nice day so I did not have my gear with me, none of my mates were there, but four young teenage girls trying to learn how to 'dive', so I dashed into the changing room, asked Paddy if he had a spare pair of trunks. Yes, but they were old, didn't fit good, but I didn't care, so I muscled in on the girls, knew it all, show time, crystal clear water, I dived in to show them how it's done, and wham my trunks were round my ankles. Struggled out trying to keep the trunks decent, headed for the changing room, four teenage girls, clapping and jeering, made their day.
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
49 of 52  Sat 20th Feb 2016 5:31pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Oh that's more like it Kaga ! Very funny. Big grin Big grin Big grin
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
50 of 52  Mon 22nd Feb 2016 11:29am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1009

I told my niece that you know when you're fully grown up, when you do something toe curlingly embarrassing and you just shrug. At that point you know you've done more embarrassing things in the past and you'll do more embarrassing things in the future and at no point does the ground swallow you up to preserve your blushes, but you do survive.
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
51 of 52  Tue 23rd Feb 2016 8:37am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:854

The worst one for me is forgetting to pay for parking, and wondering why the barrier won't go up when leaving. Angry
Milly rules

Little Nut
France
All posts by this member
52 of 52  Fri 10th Jun 2016 10:55pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2016  Total posts:35

Call it what you will, but the way round being embarrassed by your children, especially when shopping in the supermarket is to go there with friends who look like your children! My 3 all have red hair, the eldest in his youth would have made a good Ronald McDonald double, with his curls. Whenever we all went supermarket shopping they became quite an embarrassment, often kicking off when they couldn't have what they wanted. My solution, always go shopping with my close friend Cath, a redhead, who had angellically behaved blond children and then, when mine kicked off, pretend that her children were mine and ignored the naughty ones! Lol However, my little dears, when on holiday in France, would choose something expensive, and pop it into an unsuspecting French housewife's trolley, without her noticing, then watch the reaction at the checkout. Blush Personally I blame the parents - no discipline - mind you, now they all have children of their own, and in the main don't, thank goodness, seem to be making the same mistakes that we did.
Little Nut

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 52 of 52 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

What makes us happy?
|

Next (newer) topic