Next pageLast page
52 posts:
Order:    

Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
1 of 52  Sun 24th Jan 2016 7:17pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:154

I am sure we all have memories of incidents that have made us cringe with embarrassment. Back in the early 70s when my boys were small, we took the five year old and his friend (the youngest was not yet 2 and in his pushchair) to Coombe Abbey. It was a hot June day. The boys asked if they could go on the little paddle boats on the small lake, and it looked safe enough so we agreed. The man we had to pay was keeping a lookout. However, we put both boys in the little boat and gave them a push, but they started going the wrong way ….. back towards the bridge where a little weir was roped off to prevent them going under the bridge. As they drifted along one of them ducked down in the boat so we couldn’t see him, and my husband, believing they were about to drift towards the weir, started to panic, doing no more than taking off his shoes and watch, and diving into the water in front of a crowd. He plunged towards the boat, whereas one of the youngsters sat up, looked at him and said, Hello! My husband waded through the mud and pulled the boat back to the side and got the boys out, quite unharmed. The ticketmaster said, “There was no need for that!” and watched as my husband squelched along in wringing wet pink shirt and beige trousers. I was so embarrassed I wouldn’t walk along with him and kept my distance until he had dried out! Blush
Embarrassing moments
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 5:58am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2942

Ooooo Janey, the things we have to endure at the hands of our children. I can see the panic button being pressed there and then the embarrassment of it all. I lost my daughter once in Owen Owen, I couldn't see her for a split second and had to tell one of the ladies behind their counter, she put a call out for assistance and at that moment my daughter was seen BEHIND another counter just a few yards away being nosey. What can you say to them at that age? Roll eyes
Embarrassing moments
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
3 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 10:31am  

Dreamtime, I have just remembered something else. I was pushing my youngest around in his pushchair in the C and A store. I had some clips on the handle where I could hang my shopping bags, and had hung one of those soft stretchy bags made out of old tights or whatever. I looked down and for some unknown reason I thought my bag had been pinched (I was probably wearing a winter coat and the bag would have hung against it so wasn’t that visible). I rushed around the store shouting Security, Security – my bag has been stolen. When one of the store attendants came, I started to explain my problem, and lo and behold, the bag was still there! Did I feel silly, and so embarrassed. Blush
Embarrassing moments
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 11:41am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1939

Janey, sorry but I disagree with your first post, I think your husband was a very brave man, two small kids in a boat drifting towards a weir, there's no telling what may have happened if it had hit the weir or safety rope, he gave no thought to embarrassment, his only thought was the safety of the children, as it turned out they were returned safe but it could have ended up a tragedy had he not dived in. I have seen too many of those type of accidents as a lifeguard and swimmer. Otherwise Janey I enjoy your posts. A friend of mine and his wife and three year old son, in a large department store, suddenly lost their son, panic stations, then there was some sort of commotion, so they went to see if it was their son, and lo and behold there he was sitting on a display toilet with his pants round his ankles. I was about 6 years of age and a 'cub', several scout groups went to Dudley Zoo, we were queuing up for a ride on the elephants when I said something to one of the boys, the Scoutmaster asked me to apologise, I refused, so he sent me to the back of the line, I got the knock and wandered out of line, he came over to lecture me, but he was behind the elephant, next minute there was a whoosh and he was drowned.
Embarrassing moments
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
5 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 11:54am  

I get your point about my first post, Kaga, but my embarrassment was walking along by, or trying not to, a man dripping from head to foot in pink shirt and beige trousers! The boys weren’t really in any danger, it wasn’t a proper weir and it was roped off to prevent boats getting near. My husband admitted he had over reacted. You make me sound quite uncaring!
Embarrassing moments
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
6 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 2:53pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:190

In the days when there was a subway running from beside the temporary Broadgate shops to the Owen Owen side, I walked the whole length of it one rainy day with my umbrella still up! I was about ten and utterly mortified when I realised. I still cringe a bit thinking about it. Blush
Embarrassing moments
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
7 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 2:58pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:828

Many years ago I was walking with my wife, along the towpath between Foleshill Rd and Stoney Stanton Rd on a hot summers day. As we neared SS Road bridge we became aware of a group of children, several on the towpath and one in the water splashing and screaming. Wife said to me "That child is drowning, do something". Dived in and contacted with a girl in mid water, grabbed her and took her to the bank in spite of her shouting and hitting me on the head. As I lifted her onto the path I realised that she had a swimming costume on. Girl was shouting "I'll tell my dad about you". Wife was shouting at me "How could you be so stupid" All that was bad enough but then had to walk down Stoney Stanton Rd, dripping water with wife a couple of yards behind pretending that she didn't know me.
Just old and knackered

Embarrassing moments
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 5:07pm  

Well, you can believe this or not but one day back in the early 60's I was about to go under the subway in Broadgate, the one near the old Empire, and I had to tell a lady her dress was caught at the back in her underwear, she said she was grateful and admitted she had walked all the way from the 'ladies' in the Precinct. Wouldn't you have thought someone would have told her already. I think the ground would have swallowed me up if that had happened to me.
Embarrassing moments
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
9 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 5:35pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:490

I don`t know if this bit should go in "non-Coventry", but I suspect it`s applicable to most men in most towns. It`s men`s zip flies, I`ve never worked out how they manage to sink south of their own volition, usually visible in the high street - even more embarrassing when somebody stops and reminds you - early onset dementia?
Embarrassing moments
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
10 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 6:39pm  

Oh Janey, I'm so sorry, that was not my intention at all, I just think it would take a lot of courage to act like that in front of a crowd of people, we all see danger in a different light. I once did a guard duty over some long sentenced prisoners in a hospital ward, I was told to enter the cubicle if they needed to go to the mens room. I failed to do this as I could see no danger, a few seconds later there was a crash sound and a lot of dust, I pushed open the door and the guy was stark naked and had the electric light wire round his neck, he had jumped off the toilet seat, he was only bruised and the ceiling had collapsed, but I was given a severe dressing down for not seeing the danger he could inflict on himself. I really wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. It was a long time ago and I was only just 18. I met a young lady at the swimming pool, after a few dates she begged me to come and meet her parents, when we got to the house she sat me on a settee in the lounge while she went to find her parents, a young chap came in who I had seen often at the pool. I said "I'm with Jane, she gone to look for your parents, what's her old man like?" "Oh I like to think he's good sort of guy" he answered. Then Jane walked back in and said, "Hi dad, this is my boyfriend". She was sixteen going on twenty, he was 36, looked 26.
Embarrassing moments
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
11 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 6:40pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
12 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 7:04pm  

I was working for an insurance company, we had the top boss coming to talk to us one afternoon. At lunch time I went to the cafeteria, I stood in the queue behind a young lady who was ladling the gravy on to her plate, she let the ladle go and the handle flicked to the side of the pot, shot a great stream of brown gravy all down my face and clean white shirt and my tie, I had no chance of going home and changing. All through the meeting the boss kept looking at my brown spotted shirt.
Embarrassing moments
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
13 of 52  Mon 25th Jan 2016 9:51pm  

On 25th Jan 2016 5:07pm, Dreamtime said: Well, you can believe this or not but one day back in the early 60's I was about to go under the subway in Broadgate, the one near the old Empire, and I had to tell a lady her dress was caught at the back in her underwear, she said she was grateful and admitted she had walked all the way from the 'ladies' in the Precinct. Wouldn't you have thought someone would have told her already. I think the ground would have swallowed me up if that had happened to me.
OMG Dreamtime! I had forgotten that that happened to me! We were at a Mercia Sound dinner and dance in the mid to late 80's at the Hotel Leofric and I had on a full black three quarter length skirt, black lacey top and a black velvet rose choker. I was slimmer than I am now and felt quite good. However, naturally at some stage I had to visit the Ladies, and when I came out I had walked quite a distance when some kind soul told me my skirt was caught up at the back! I almost died of embarrassment and am not sure how many other people noticed! Blush
Embarrassing moments
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
14 of 52  Tue 26th Jan 2016 1:12am  

Ha ha ha, that must be a girl's worst nightmare Janey, always check your rear as well as the front in the little girls room! I bet you have never done it since. Big grin
Embarrassing moments
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
15 of 52  Tue 26th Jan 2016 10:00am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:490

Wasn`t it Wilfred Pickles who used to ask on "Have a Go" show "Ever had any embarrassing moments"?
Embarrassing moments

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 52 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Boot and Shoe Repair Shops
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Weddings
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 242ms)