No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

Banksy
Bradford
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Sat 30th Jan 2016 1:02pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:1

Hi, I am looking for some information regarding a thickness gauge I have. It states on the dial 'Rotherham's Coventry, thickness gauge, Legge Brothers (Export) Ltd. Made in England'. It measures a thousandth of an inch. Any information would be nice. Was it used to measure metal thickness in the manufacturing of watches, or was it made by Rotherham's?
alan banks

Industry, Business and Work - Rotherham's Thickness Gauge
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Sat 30th Jan 2016 1:31pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

It was probably made by Rotherham's and used by tool room workers and the like for measuring. Is it like a modern clock gauge or similar to the older open micrometers. I have a mike with a 12inch jaw that will measure down to one thou'. Although most of my working life was as ambulance crew I enjoyed making things on my small lathe in the shed. Would buy brass bar ends from Price's scrap yard and somehow totally ruin them while trying to make cannons etc. After saying that I don't think I have any measuring tools made by Rotherham's.
Just old and knackered

JRL
Binley Woods
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Sat 30th Jan 2016 6:55pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2016  Total posts:7

The item you refer to sounds as though you have a Rotherham's Paper Thickness Gauge. We designed and made it from November 1950. It would be 3.2" overall length, 2.3" diameter and 0.85" deep from base to bezel top. There is an operating button on the side and a slot where the paper is inserted in the narrow end. Does that match what you have? I did the drawings for it. I would be interested in a photograph of it, as I haven't seen one since leaving Rotherham's in 1956. I am also associated with Coventry Watch Museum and we don’t have one. I am also trying to find someone who has a Rotherham's Pigeon Clock to photograph, another of their products which I was involved with.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Sat 30th Jan 2016 7:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4109

Hello & welcome Banksy & JRL to our forum Wave Thank you for your posts Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Scrap Yards
|

Next (newer) topic

Pell family - Tent Makers
You are viewing topics in the Industry, Business and Work category