No actionNo action
10 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
1 of 10  Sun 14th Feb 2016 10:34am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2376

Way back in the early thirties, there was still a lot of books and stories of WWI, and of course there were comics like the Wizard and Adventure, so we boys had our heroes, but mid-thirties there was a motor bike crash that hit the news like no other, the death of TE Lawrence, the greatest name that came out of the first world war, he captured the imagination of everyone. But it was not until the late forties that I began to read his exploits. I was stationed out in Palestine along with about 8-12 other Cov kids, we formed a tight little bunch, discussed our families, schools, the war, Coventry, our memories, our hopes. We were all going to keep in touch, but no we never did. But one had a book on TE Lawrence, and so I caught up with the story that had my relations so interested and talkative, back in the mid-thirties. And I now find I can remember those times of the thirties as if of the moment. Post moved from topic Early memories on 8th Mar 2016 9:06 am
Non-Coventry - Lawrence of Arabia
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
2 of 10  Mon 7th Mar 2016 5:23pm  

The greatest hero of the first world war was not a Coventry man, but his story became a Legend. I first read about this hero when he died in 1935, my father told me what he could at the time, which was very little, but I have read a good many books since. He had no military experience in the beginning but was so knowing they made him a 2nd lieutenant but he could by-pass anyone to walk in on generals, government people and the like, and was made up to a lieutenant-colonel. He refused all medals, and when he was made to go in front of the King, he told the King he didn't want medals and took the ribbon off as he was leaving the King's presence, At the end of the war, the reporters would not leave him alone so he asked the Air Marshall, who was his friend, if he could lose himself as an aircraftsman in the RAF, but the reporters found out and it became embarrassing for the government and the Air Marshall, so they threw him out, so he joined the army again as a private, but they had the same trouble, so they took him back in the RAF until he died in a motor-cycle accident in 1935. His name - T E Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
3 of 10  Mon 7th Mar 2016 6:15pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:894

T E Lawrence was famously killed in an accident whilst riding his motor cycle, which was a Brough Superior SS100. These machines were individually built for the rider and known as the 'Rolls Royce of motorcycles'. I'm wondering if Beesman has one tucked away in his garage. Wink
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 10  Tue 8th Mar 2016 5:34pm  

MisterD-Di. Yes, but he was a very experienced rider, he was supposed to have avoided two kids that was riding side by side down a country lane, although they must have heard his bike behind them, Because he was so famous, they did a very thorough test, and found the bike was in a low gear, so he was not speeding.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
5 of 10  Tue 8th Mar 2016 6:29pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:564

Thank you for opening the subject, Kaga. I`m not at home at the moment so cannot consult my "library". But I have two books I regard as my reference books for the middle East, one by T.E.Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" and the other by Robert Graves, which give the story of how I suppose the hated Ottoman Empire was ended and the Turks were driven out of a number of countries they had "colonised" (perhaps more accurately described as enslaved). I believe the promises Lawrence had made to the Chieftains who he befriended, and fought with, were not going to be honoured at the Treaty of Versailles after the war and it was only at Lawrence`s insistence that Churchill made the deal that resulted in the straight line bordered countries that are proving such a minefield today. Could Turkey be flexing its wings to regain the Ottoman Empire? If I was a Turk perhaps I would be harbouring a grudge or even see it as a mission to be the only one able to pacify all the disparate parties in the region. This inlux of refugees I do see a "hidden agenda". Be interested to see anybody else`s views - or even to tell me I`ve got hold of the wrong end of the stick. All that being said, I find it difficult to understand all the nuances of this Middle East crisis, which is such a mix of religion, politics and tribalism.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 10  Wed 9th Mar 2016 4:34pm  

Midland Red, thank you for sorting things out for me. Roger Turner, pleased some one has an interest in Lawrence, he was a very unusual man. The English and the French were trying to carve up the whole of the Eastern region, but he knew that region better than any European. I do believe we would not have so many troubles out there today if they had listened to him a little more. But it was his dare-devil way that interested me. I would place him as the very beginning of the SAS, as Stirling listened to him and copied his warfare, in WWI to the Western Desert in WWII and from there it just grew. Many of our forum people were in the forces, so they can thank him for getting a lot of the 'bull' lifted from the forces' dredgery, as he told the 'brass' how bad it was for the normal 'private' back in the thirties, and there was a lot of rules changed, to better the lower ranks.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
7 of 10  Wed 27th Apr 2016 5:47pm  

Yes, few people have read or know much about this campaign but it was just as important as the Western Front in the First World War. The Germans had to pull a lot of troops from the Western Front to this campaign, weakening their strength in no mans land. It was said at the Gallipoli battle there were more VC's before breakfast one morning than all the time of the Western Front campaign. Trouble was, the officers that wrote out the citations were also killed before they could hand the citations in.
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
8 of 10  Wed 27th Apr 2016 8:17pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Those bikes were also known as the Rough Inferior.
Just old and knackered

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
9 of 10  Mon 3rd Oct 2016 4:34pm  

I just loved this guy. Between the two great wars, Winston Churchill was known for his dinner parties at Chartwell, top politicians, forces top brass that arrived in their chauffeur driven latest model cars, and along comes Lawrence on his loud motor-bike, dressed as aircraftsman 2nd class. He would join the party, outmanoeuvre the top forces guys in war games, leave trailing the politicians in his knowledge of the statesmen of other countries. Friend of kings and princes, more courage than anyone but Winston himself on the battlefield. Better with words, more charming than anyone else in the company at the meetings. An outstanding man.
w-aussie
perth w.a.
All posts by this member
10 of 10  Fri 11th Nov 2016 8:34am  
Member: Joined Nov 2016  Total posts:14

On 7th Mar 2016 6:15pm, MisterD-Di said: T E Lawrence was famously killed in an accident whilst riding his motor cycle, which was a Brough Superior SS100. These machines were individually built for the rider and known as the 'Rolls Royce of motorcycles'. I'm wondering if Beesman has one tucked away in his garage. Wink
I would love one (even @ 72) last bike was a Velo.- great. I think Brough still make custom 'bikes
john dearsley

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Aberfan tragedy, 21 Oct 1966
|

Next (newer) topic

Countryside memories