No actionNo action
22 posts:
Order:    

oldfoss
Henley Green Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 22  Mon 24th Oct 2016 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:5

Hello Mick, I don't know if you remember me, the name is George Vaughan, I can remember a lot of the names in Derrick's post but I cannot remember him, old age creeping in again. Nice to know there is a few of us left still
George

Foxford Schools
Swopshop
Oswestry
All posts by this member
17 of 22  Tue 8th Nov 2016 11:32pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2016  Total posts:2

Hi George Of course I remember you. You were quite short, chubby face. I'm surprised you don't remember Derrick but then there were people I forgot. Mick. (Sorry didn't reply earlier, don't check in that often)
Foxford Schools
oldfoss
Henley Green Coventry
All posts by this member
18 of 22  Wed 9th Nov 2016 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2016  Total posts:5

Hi Mick, thanks for replying, I am still in Coventry, in fact just round the corner from where I lived when I was at Foxford. I remembered quite a few of the names of pupils and staff, most of whom I liked and respected, but one I hated was Stan Mills, he was a big bully on the sports side of things. George
George

Foxford Schools
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
19 of 22  Tue 16th May 2017 3:13pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1734

My last year at Foxford School, 1940-41. Eddie Branson (teacher) taught us - music, singing, football, cricket, swimming, English, geography, science, gas mask drill, air raid shelter drill. Tommy Woodroff (blackbat) (teacher) taught us arithmetic, history, and the cane, and assisted with the drills. Cook (headmaster), Mr and Mrs Cole (teachers) taught the 8 to 10 year olds, assisted with the drills. We boys had the choice of half a day a week to do woodwork or metalwork, the girls cookery at Windmill Lane School. Branson I would put under 40, Woodroff in his fifties, Cook in his fifties, and the Coles in their 60s (guess work)
Foxford Schools
RichardM
Burbage
All posts by this member
20 of 22  Sat 24th Jun 2017 4:43pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2017  Total posts:1

Hello Derrick, just discovered this website & found this post whilst researching something else. I attended Foxford in the 60's & recall a lot of the names mentioned in your post. I was in Mercury & Mr Knight was the Head as I recall. My schoolmates included - Adrian Booth (who later became a teacher at Foxford), Alan Powell, Remi Pollard, Bob Ainsworth (became Coventry Councillor & MP), Martin Hewitt etc. I was big into my sports mainly football representing the school for Coventry Boys & Warwickshire levels. Brings back some pleasant memories. Richard Mather Edited by member, 24th Jun 2017 4:45 pm
Foxford Schools
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
21 of 22  Tue 11th Jul 2017 9:31am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1734

Foxford did not have much of a football team or equipment or sports master, but we got excited when a match was arranged against a top school in the town. The long single decker bus arrived and we piled aboard. We only had two footballs - one had a scruffed surface that hurt you when heading the ball, the other we found was soft as we boarded the bus. We had a bicycle pump but not the little silver connection to pump it up. Branson the teacher asked the driver to stop 'up the 'Wolfe' and a lad ran into the shop and bought one. We pumped up the ball but some of the stitches were worn so we had a bleb. The driver took us in the wrong end of the park, so when we arrived at the right place we had no football, half the team had no jersey, and we were jeered by the other team who thought we were a bunch of country bumpkins. We changed in a hut, their teacher was to be the ref. We played for about half an hour, and up went the barrage balloons and the sirens wailed - we were ushered into a brick shelter and there was a lot of bad feeling between us, and we were frozen. When the all-clear sounded it was decided we would only play another half hour but we scored a goal, so the ref let the game go on longer. Finally it was over, but our bus was missing. Branson was worried about the time. He held a count to see who could afford bus fare - we walked into Broadgate, caught a Bedworth bus for Longford. At Longford it had started to rain and was pitch dark, only one lad had a torch and that was dim. At the bottom of Hurst Road the torch gave out, the path across the field to Grange Road was pitch black. Our top coats and macs were in the school cloakroom but it was too dark and we were too wet to bother with them. But the blackout had made us aware of every railing, hedgerow and pot-hole, or kerbs missing. At the top of Jackers Road Branson left us. I arrived home cold, wet, my gas-mask box fell apart, but we had thrashed a larger school than us and that's what counted. A few weeks later came the blitz - I remember we never played another game after that while I was at school.
Foxford Schools
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
22 of 22  Tue 11th Jul 2017 10:27am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4468

Great illustration of the times, Kaga - thanks Thumbs up It's the "little things" that fascinate, like the fact that you'd gone to play school football match, carrying a box containing your gas mask Oh my
Foxford Schools

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Inner Ring Road
|

Next (newer) topic

Little Palace Yard
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 83ms)