No actionNo action
3 posts:
Order:    

argon
new milton
All posts by this member
1 of 3  Tue 1st Mar 2016 1:50pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:86

Whitley Abbey School has been mentioned a few times, however its predecessor, Churchfield High School, has not. The school was in existence from 1947 to 1955 when it moved to become Whitley Abbey. Prior to 1947 it was known as the commercial section of the Technical College. The original name in 1947 was Commercial High School and was changed about 1949 to Churchfield. The school occupied the old Stoke Park Girls School in Brays Lane from 1947 to 1955. There were about 450 pupils approximately 300 girls and 150 boys. Facilities were limited, without a playing field and other amenities now taken for granted, the assembly hall doubled as the gym. Despite its lack of 'luxuries' the teaching staff were dedicated and achieved good teaching standards. A number of the teachers went on to become headmasters at other schools, namely Mr. Insley, Miss Parncutt and Mr. Jones. The headmaster, Mr. Lewis, became head of Whitley Abbey and so the school continued.
Churchfield High School
erwegoagen
Coventry Wyken
All posts by this member
2 of 3  Tue 1st Mar 2016 5:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2010  Total posts:28

I attended the junior Commercial at the rear of the Tech pre 1947. The headmaster was Fred Lewis, a real gentleman. Bill Fairman took us for Commerce. Miss Rose was our shorthand and typing teacher, much travelled. The history teacher was a large lady who fired my interest in History. She had a very advanced way of teaching, she would take time with lads that she knew had particular interest and make that the subject for that teaching period. As I remember the lads were on one side, and the girls the other. Cheers
Churchfield High School
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
3 of 3  Tue 1st Mar 2016 5:59pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:86

erwegoagen, During my time Mrs Rose was still there and of course Fred Lewis as headmaster. The commercial subjects were taught to the girls, shorthand and typing. There was an attempt to teach the boys metalwork and woodwork but to do so we had to walk to Frederick Bird's and back for lessons, as there were no workshops at Brays Lane so that seemed to fade away. The boys were taught in the old part of the school and the girls in the newer extension.
Churchfield High School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Charter Primary School
|

Next (newer) topic

Upper Foleshill (New Inn Bridge to The Parting of the Heaths)
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 166ms)