No actionNo action
2 posts:
Order:    

JudyTee
Cheylesmore
All posts by this member
1 of 2  Wed 16th Mar 2016 7:02pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2016  Total posts:1

I have been given a cutting from an old Darlington newspaper, unfortunately undated and wondered if anyone had any further information or could redirect me to possible research sources please on the man and his achievements in this city. Based on his birth records I am assuming he retired at age 65 in 1966. "A man who learnt his trade in Darlington and who helped pioneer fluorescent street lighting retired at the end of last year in Coventry where he planned, prepared and carried out the complete change from gas to electric street lighting. "The extent of his work in Coventry can be seen from the facts. When he arrived in 1951 there were 7,500 gas lamps and only 950 electrical ones. Now there are 20,000 electrical and only 250 gas. His one request for his services is that the Corporation give him the last gas lamp to be taken down in the city. 'I would consider it a great honour'. "He also helped pioneer road heating - the first scheme to have it installed in the British Isles was his, the ramp to Coventry Market car park. Bridge parapet lighting was also his idea. "Mr Shaw has also had a hand in many other improvements in Coventry, mainly to do with lighting, heating and automation car parks." Thank you JT
W H (Bill) Shaw
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 2  Wed 16th Mar 2016 7:10pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4076

Hello & welcome to our forum, JudyTee & thank you for your post Wave Thumbs up
W H (Bill) Shaw

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 2 of 2 posts

Page 1 of 1