No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Thu 17th Mar 2016 1:07pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:44

This is an appeal for information regarding Coventry Bantams Ladies F.C. which was formed around 1967. I have contacted Margaret Crabtree, a former player, who has provided a superb colour team photograph taken at Ansley Common prior to a match. She started playing in 1967. I am grateful to Mr. D Di for advising the club played in the Heart of England League during the 1970's and actually reached the Woman's F.A. CUP SEMI-FINAL on one occasion. Can you add any more information Mr. D Di? The first women's football match to take place in Coventry was an exhibition game in 1895 at Stoke Road, the old Singer's Ground. The female game was pioneered in Coventry by the courageous women munition workers producing armaments during World War One. After the war many of those women remained playing which eventually led to the formation of Coventry City Ladies F.C. in 1921. The England Women's Football Association was formed in December of that year as a direct result of the Football Association introducing their disgraceful ban on women's football at League grounds. Sadly this organisation was short-lived as it disbanded in 1922, as did the CCLFC team. Coventry Bantams Ladies F.C. re-introduced the ladies game to our city. Currently, the very successful Coventry United Ladies F.C. carry the torch at a very high level in the Southern Premier League and strive to achieve Super League status. I am attempting to record a comprehensive history of women's football in Coventry. I am particularly interested in information post WW2. Please, can anyone help? LIONEL BIRD COVENTRY UNITED LFC HISTORIAN
Coventry Bantams Ladies F C
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Thu 17th Mar 2016 1:18pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:899

I was involved with Coventry Bantams for a few years in the 70s and refereed many of their games. I knew many of the players and coaches around that time, although I have no formal records of matches. Perhaps if you send me a PM through the site and let me know what sort of information you are looking for, I will try to help as much as possible. I'm aware that there is very little on the internet about the team as they had folded before we had such facilities. There was often a match report in the CET back in the day but that is very time consuming, of course.
the vocalists
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Fri 18th Mar 2016 8:34am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:44

Thanks for responding Mr D Di Where did they play their home games in Coventry? Did they play at other Coventry locations? Did you referee them outside of Coventry? Can you remember the names of some of the teams they played? What League did they play in/ Was this the only women's league in Coventry/Warwickshire? Can you remember when they disbanded? Answers to these questions would be very helpful. Thanks.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Fri 18th Mar 2016 10:15am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:899

I've sent you a message. Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1