Topic categories:

Sport, Music and Leisure

Theatres (other than Hippodrome/Coventry Theatre)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 33 of 33 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action
33 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
31 of 33  Thu 2nd Jul 2020 9:28am  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2333

I think the book just needs a little interpretation. The author mangled the sentences a bit and missed off a key fact that it was the rear of the Corn Exchange on Vicar Lane. It also didn't mention that the Empire Theatre had been anywhere else. I have an advantage - the maps help a lot - I had to use four. Five if you count knowing where the Corn Exchange went to. I've got the map for 1850 which shows the houses and stables. I used two of the maps at Old Maps (1888 and 1914) and the Fire Insurance map (1897). On those maps some buildings are labelled, so I can see the names change and move about. Coventry is very, very confusing. Things change rapidly between maps. Can we trust the books? No, not entirely. Early books on old Coventry could tell you what the city looked like then and some modern books ignore those descriptions and get stuff wrong eg the location of Bridgeman's is mis-located in some modern books but pinpointed in at least one old book. Quite a few books mix up where the Spon Leper Hospital was but the map makers of 1850 knew where the ruins were. Where old books go wrong is trying to make sense of the Coventry before their time. Modern books have the benefit of recent archaeology and modern understanding. So for the best information on St Mary's Cathedral, the most modern books will know more about what various experts have concluded about the ruins but not necessarily the best pictures of what each dig discovered.
Sport, Music and Leisure - Theatres (other than Hippodrome/Coventry Theatre)
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
32 of 33  Thu 2nd Jul 2020 2:48pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:366

If anyone is interested, for ref, I find there is a book about the Theatre Royal and Empire available at a number of souces for about £9 inc postage, namely 'Coventry's Forgotten Theatre, The Theatre Royal and Empire' by Ted Bottle.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
33 of 33  Sat 4th Jul 2020 11:40am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3752

Sir Skears Rew, Mayor of Coventry, lived in Smithford Street near the Black Bull Inn - in his back garden he built the Theatre Royal, which opened on Easter Monday, 12th April 1818, with the play 'A way to pay off debts' and 'The Irishman in London', to a very large and well filled house of the nobility and gentry of the city and neighbourhood.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 33 of 33 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry rugger (from "Cov" and Coundon Road to Butts and Wasps)
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Hippodrome / Theatre
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 68ms