Next pageLast page
125 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 11:00am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

It was a regular occurrence that stars appearing at the Hippodrome / Coventry Theatre would attend a service at Holy Trinity Church As a chorister in those days, I met and collected autographs from, inter alia, Jimmy Clitheroe, The Kaye Sisters, Morecambe & Wise, Harry Secombe
Sport, Music and Leisure - Radio Memories
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 11:22am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3886

I loved listening to Jimmy Clitheroe on wireless. Another favorite of mine was Mr. Pastry, who came to visit us whilst in hospital one year. Thumbs up He had us all in stitches (pun) Lol
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
3 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 11:25am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3021

I was in the audience with a coach party from the Howitzer Club! I think he was appearing as Aladdin? Every time he came on stage we were supposed to shout: "Baa, baa, galoo, galoo". I haven't the faintest idea why? The club also gave each one of us a huge bag of sweets, far more than anyone could eat, presumably to keep us quiet. It didn't work! Lol
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 12:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1547

On 29th Dec 2011 11:22am, PhilipInCoventry said: ... Another favorite of mine was Mr. Pastry...
... and mine too! - great photo! Thumbs up What was the radio program that featured Jimmy Clitheroe?
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
5 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 12:21pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3021

On 29th Dec 2011 12:06pm, TonyS said: What was the radio program that featured Jimmy Clitheroe?
It was called "The Clitheroe Kid" and was broadcast on the Light Programme on Sunday afternoons.
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 12:33pm  

On 29th Dec 2011 12:21pm, dutchman said: It was called "The Clitheroe Kid" and was broadcast on the Light Programme on Sunday afternoons.
Ahhh, of course, why couldn't I remember that! As ever, thank you dutchman! Thumbs up
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
7 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 12:35pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:877

On 29th Dec 2011 11:25am, dutchman said: I was in the audience with a coach party from the Howitzer Club! I think he was appearing as Aladdin? Every time he came on stage we were supposed to shout: "Baa, baa, galoo, galoo". I haven't the faintest idea why? The club also gave each one of us a huge bag of sweets, far more than anyone could eat, presumably to keep us quiet. It didn't work! Lol
Ha Ha! I remember that too. I'm not sure if it was the pantomime or the Spring Show, but he had hundreds of kids shouting that. I guess it was to ensure we all paid attention. I remember the 'Clitheroe Kid' on radio on Sunday lunchtime, along with such classics as 'Round the Horne' and 'The Navy Lark'. It also transferred to TV, where I believe it was called 'Just Jimmy'.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 1:46pm  

Some of those classics can be listened to on Radio 4+. Put your earphones on & you can listen to them on 'listen now' whilst posting on here. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 1:53pm  

The Navy Lark & Round the Horne are current now. Wave
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
10 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 3:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

Jimmy Clitheroe was the oldest schoolboy in the country and he played gooseberry for years with his elder sister Susan and her boyfriend Alfie Hall. Believe it or not Judith Chalmers was Susan in the first series, later played by Diana Day with Danny Ross as Alfie. The Clitheroe Kid did come from Clitheroe in Lancashire, he played the naughty schoolboy for a total of 17 series on the BBC Light programme. Peter Sinclair played his Scottish grandad, Patricia Burke and Renee Houston, his mother. The scripts were generally written by the producer James Casey and Frank Roscoe. After a brief version on television, the Clitheroe Kid ended in 1972 following the death of Jimmy Clitheroe.
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
11 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 4:17pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

Can't say I really warmed to him, really. But "Round the Horne", "The Navy Lark", "ITMA", "Archie Andrews"....Those were the days, eh? I always listened to Round the Horne and later The Navy Lark when I came home from school for lunch. Didn't want to go back after that!!!
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 4:25pm  

On 29th Dec 2011 1:53pm, PhilipInCoventry said: The Navy Lark & Round the Horne are current now. Wave
Really? When/where are they broadcast?
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 4:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

Did 'Worker's Playtime' ever visit Coventry ? Who compared that, was it Wilfred Pickles ? (it's ok, I'm just drifting back to Coventry for you folks !)
K
Somewhere
All posts by this member
14 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 4:43pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:567

On 29th Dec 2011 4:29pm, Dreamtime said: Did 'Worker's Playtime' ever visit Coventry ? Who compared that, was it Wilfred Pickles ? (it's ok, I'm just drifting back to Coventry for you folks !)
I would guess so...I remember "Music While You Work" being played when I was at GEC - but I don't remember it being played anywhere else that I worked. I think the compere of Workers' Playtime was Bob Monkhouse. Wilfred Pickles compered "Have A Go".
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 125  Thu 29th Dec 2011 4:49pm  

On 29th Dec 2011 4:29pm, Dreamtime said: Did 'Worker's Playtime' ever visit Coventry ? Who compared that, was it Wilfred Pickles ? (it's ok, I'm just drifting back to Coventry for you folks !)
Not sure, but I would have thought with Coventrys manufacturing base it would have hosted the programme at some stage. Was this the show that Peter Goodwright found fame on?

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 125 posts

Page 1 of 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Co-operative Concert Orchestra
|

Next (newer) topic

Belgrade Theatre
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 108ms)