Old Lincolnian
121 of 125  Sun 27th Mar 2016 11:22am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
122 of 125  Tue 29th Mar 2016 11:59am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2040

Nostalgic night on Radio 2 last night. First, two hours of Bobby Darin, and then further back to the thirties for me with an hour of the great Caruso. The first records we ever had, played on a His Master's Voice wind up machine, even the song 'Two lovely black eyes' was played.
Radio Memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
123 of 125  Thu 5th May 2016 8:16pm  

I remember just before the war there was a special programe about Orson Wells upsetting the USA by reading part of the book War of the Worlds. Made quite a stir then, I think that's when I discovered H.G Wells. We knew little then about space, and I tried to relate it with Flash Gordon at the cinema and if there was another world. There were a number of announcements on the radio that gripped you as a kid. Another was about this giant fireball (Zeppelin), where the announcer was choked up with tears, you heard something like that on the radio, and that was it, no other source of news to judge things. Left you in the dark often.
Radio Memories
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
124 of 125  Fri 6th May 2016 11:33am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:470

Hi Kaga. War of the Worlds was transmitted as a series of live bulletins over the course of an evening, it did cause quite a stir but as it had been previously trailed so many people were expecting it. It is generally accepted now that the "panic" caused was greatly over emphasised for publicity reasons. The Hindenburg was indeed a very traumatic event and was probably the first disaster covered live.
Radio Memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
125 of 125  Fri 6th May 2016 6:36pm  

Old Lincolnian, 'wow', was that some story, that is the first time I have seen anything about it since I was a kid, it did flash through my mind once when I was suspended from a balloon. Thanks for putting that on, Kaga
Radio Memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 121 to 125 of 125 posts

Page 9 of 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Francis Skidmore "The Coventry Craftsman"
|

Next (newer) topic

Time Machine / Travel back in time
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 30th April 2018  (Load time: 201ms)