Next pageNo action
24 posts:
Order:    

Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 24  Sat 7th May 2016 6:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:51

It seems a shame that this handsome old building is likely to be demolished. We don't really treasure our Victorian buildings as we should.
DavidT

Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 24  Sat 7th May 2016 6:50pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:137

I am amazed. They can't knock it down surely.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 24  Sat 7th May 2016 9:20pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:837

It's nothing special. There are hundreds of similar styled buildings around and this looks like it's been added to over the years and looks a bit odd. We can't save everything just because it's old. Buildings sometimes outlive their usefulness and the land is needed for something else.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Davey
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 24  Sat 7th May 2016 10:06pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:51

I didn't realise it was over the border, profuse apologies. My grandparents lived just around the corner in Longford so I believed it was in Cov. The land is needed for a scaffolding company apparently. I'd prefer to look at the old building myself. Each to their own taste.
DavidT

Black Horse Pub, Exhall
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 24  Mon 9th May 2016 1:21pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:216

On 7th May 2016 9:20pm, flapdoodle said: ... this looks like it's been added to over the years and looks a bit odd.
The out of character flat roofed part was added by the brewery (likely M&B). It was also badly and cheaply constructed according to one of the previous tenants. Used to be a great place, but was never quite the same once Les and Alan gave it up.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 24  Mon 9th May 2016 7:53pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1902

bohica, if you mean Alan Gordon and Leslie, Alan was my wife's cousin, in her younger days she practically grew up in Alan's household.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 24  Mon 9th May 2016 9:35pm  

Spot on Kaga. I believe Alan passed away a few years back? He was a well known cricketer locally I believe?
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 24  Tue 10th May 2016 8:13am  

bohica, Alan played for the county, and I know he toured South Africa with them, but that's as far as I can remember. For a short spell I worked with his father at the Dunlop, I knew his mother's parents and family the whole of my life.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 24  Tue 10th May 2016 12:44pm  

I don't think Alan ever told me he'd toured SA, I heard that from somewhere else. IIRC, didn't he and Les run a newsagents at one time?
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
10 of 24  Tue 10th May 2016 9:37pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:110

On 7th May 2016 10:06pm, Davey said: I didn't realise it was over the border, profuse apologies.
I for one am confused as to why you think an apology is needed. The area around Blackhorse Road has been discussed a number of times in the Coventry section of this forum by a number of people without comment, it being an area of wider interest. I was genuinely shocked to read your post about the imminent demolition of the Black Horse, but grateful that you highlighted it. This was a lovely old pub I used to frequent when I lived in Exhall and a building I always look out for when I come home to visit. When I read more widely about the issue I was further shocked at the general apparent indifference to the plight of this building and the impression of a shrugging acceptance that it will go, an attitude seemingly echoed to an extent on this forum. To me, even if the Black Horse is to be demolished it is only right to remember and respect it properly as a pub important to the local area for many years and part of its history. It is very possible in my view that parts of the building are Georgian rather than Victorian. There is an inscription on the front of the "extended" part with a date of 1898 and the initials CTH. However I believe that this is the date of the extension, not the whole building which is recorded as being in business as a pub in 1874, and I feel a lot longer than that. Its position may well be significant in explaining why it was built and when. The Bedworth to Coventry Road on which it lies was "turnpiked" in the early years of the 19th century, previously being an "old coal pit causeway" This major improvement in the road resulted in a significant increase in the flow of traffic to and from Coventry. To pay a turnpike toll it is said that originally a pikestaff was laid across such a road to block the vehicle and turned round once the toll had been paid so that it could pass. It is very possible that the original Black Horse pub building could have been built in connection with the construction and operation of this turnpike, perhaps in collecting tolls or providing refreshment, or both. It may well also be significant that the pub was built on the corner of the Turnpike and Blackhorse Road - then called Green Lane, which was and is an ancient medieval roadway crossing over to what is now Wilson's Lane and down to Rowleys Green and the area of the ancient Exhall manor house and farms. In the other direction Green Lane connected with the Coventry canal, and later the L&NW railway at Hawkesbury station, which would have generated even more goods and passenger traffic passing along in to the new Turnpike road in front of the Black Horse. So as sad as the Black Horse pub building is now, it has a proud history of providing a service and helping the development of the local area - including Coventry.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
11 of 24  Wed 11th May 2016 9:15am  

David H, that is a fine piece of history, although I lived a couple of miles away it still linked to my area, and I am grateful of your post. Why wasn't local history taught at school? Thank you David.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
12 of 24  Wed 11th May 2016 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:110

Thank you Kaga. I felt it was important to write something about this pub and its probable place in local history while it is still with us. Once it is gone the link has gone. At least something about it is now on this forum.
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
13 of 24  Thu 26th May 2016 8:02pm  

Between the Black Horse pub and the main road, there was a small building that belonged to the Dunlop, it housed several capstan drilling machines etc. I doubt more than 20 people worked there. On the opposite side of the road another small factory, about the same number of people, same machinery, except they used a type of magnifying glasses, the work was so fine, and below them, Longford side of the railway bridge, was a third small factory. I believe large factories that had been put out of action in the town transferred men and machines to small places to keep production going but I never found out if I was correct, or the reason why they sprang up in these old buildings..
Black Horse Pub, Exhall
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
14 of 24  Fri 1st Jul 2016 6:01am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:853

I came back that way this morning purposely to have a look, and I can confirm that the pub is still there.
Milly rules

Black Horse Pub, Exhall
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
15 of 24  Fri 21st Oct 2016 1:54pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:853

Demolition is imminent for the BH, a scaffold company will occupy the land afterwards. Edited by member, 21st Oct 2016 1:57 pm
Milly rules

Black Horse Pub, Exhall

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 24 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Woodway Lane and Potters Green
|

Next (newer) topic

Aerial views of Coventry
View similar topics in the Coventry Suburbs and Beyond category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 79ms)