Next pageLast page
46 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
1 of 46  Wed 11th May 2016 11:49am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:566

It was the mention of the Black Horse pub at Exhall, that led me to starting this theme, I wanted to see a picture and couldn`t find one. But then you know how the mind slips on, I thought of a few more venues, me and my wife to be went off to and "got together" (anywhere away from the family). So...... The Boot at Honiley, The Falcon at Shrewley (Landlord `Tom` Dollery, Warwickshire Cricket captain), The Crabmill Inn, Henley in Arden (?), Fleur de Lys Chicken and Mushroom Pies at somewhere over Hampton way, Chicken in the basket at Hunningham, Berni Inn - Kenilworth. Of course, it wasn`t all about courting, I used to take surveyors I worked with for a "business lunch" to the Bear at Berkswell, although my wife and I were regular visitors both before and after we were married (completely spoilt now) Oh, and my father also played for a cricket team "The Ramblers", amazing how many times we ended up at the Green Man in Kenilworth.
Non-Coventry - "Courting" outside Coventry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 46  Wed 11th May 2016 12:41pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3201

Yes, Roger, that's what it was called in those days, 'courting'. The young ones snigger now if you refer to that. The Bear and Ragged Staff was a favourite of ours and the Fleur de Lys meat pies were our favourite too, and we only frequented the pubs with really good food. Thumbs up
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
3 of 46  Wed 11th May 2016 12:49pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Mr Turner. I have visited many of those pubs and got pie eyed in most. Dreamtime. I lived off Fleur de Lys pies for years and remember them well. Not heard of them recently and don't know if they are still made.
Just old and knackered

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 46  Wed 11th May 2016 1:08pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:493

Looks like Fleur de Lys pies are still made Fleur de Lys The original factory was demolished Fleur de Lys at Emscote and I expect the pies taste very different to those of our memories Wink
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
5 of 46  Wed 11th May 2016 3:00pm  

Talking about getting "pie eyed" I forgot to mention The Bull at Meriden. Does anybody remember when they introduced schooners of sherry? Went down a treat especially with the ladies!! Apropos of nothing, but referring to my opening line. My wife to be, on a visit to the Falcon, ordered "Green Chartreuse" - I`m sure it was an experiment, as she got half way through it and gave every sign of `going off`, anyway the upshot was, Jack the ever helpful lad finished it off for her. I won`t say it was the last thing I remember, but it`s a good job there were not the modern driving regulations in those days. Oh! remember how tyres were usable, even when they were just showing the canvas, mind you my puddle jumpers didn`t do much more than 35 mph
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 6:00am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3201

Ooooo yes, schooners of sherry, with a cherry on a stick - thumbs up to that one. Thumbs up then the Pimm's No.1, don't know what was in it but I used to like those. I forgot what main road it was on but we always spent a special occasion at the Old Mill and had a lovely Christmas 'do' there once. I would not say our courting days were over but once the children came along we had to curb the menus so to speak !!!!!
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
7 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 11:08am  

Ha yes... The Bull at Meriden... Often took girl friends there. For the current girl on my arm I always bought a Green Chartreuse or another short that had an orange taste. The barman got to know me quite well and he called those drinks Shimmy Lifters. I have no idea why.
Just old and knackered

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
8 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 6:22pm  

"Shimmy Lifter" - I think your barman had it to a "T" While writing another visited pub comes to mind, but I can`t remember the name, at Priors Hardwick. By the way, did Crick ever get "Home Rule"? Cheers
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
9 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 7:23pm  

I think the pub at Priors Hardwick is/was called The Butcher, haven't been out that way for years. I also frequently visited the Hinckley Knight and the Pretty Pigs a few miles along the A5. Sadly Crick never got home rule but I remember the appeal painted on a railway bridge.
Just old and knackered

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
10 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 9:37pm  

Yes, Norman, I think you are correct, "The Butchers Arms", can`t remember what the attraction was there - perhaps it was just because it was quiet (suitable for courting). Shame Crick never got home rule - you know how "Smithie" used to say "Power to the People", I used to say "Home Rule for Crick" - even when I stayed in Scotland for 20 years (it used to make my wife laugh - daft weren't we?). I remember a little old worlde pub at Ryton near the swimming pool? Oh and one night to remember at the Astley Castle, We sat at refectory tables in this great big old room and feasted on a set menu - mine host entertained us with French bonhomie and went from table to table, taking a slurp at each - we must have been there for at least a couple of hours. Came time to collect our coats - there he was to see us off - not quite pie eyed, but well on the way. Funny how the French had disappeared - I think he said he came from Bolton Cheers
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
11 of 46  Thu 12th May 2016 9:39pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1326

Do you mean the Pretty Pigs at Alvecote near Tamworth, Norman. They do a good carvery there but it gets very busy.
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
12 of 46  Fri 13th May 2016 7:11am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:253

On 12th May 2016 7:23pm, Norman Conquest said: I think the pub at Priors Hardwick is/was called The Butcher, haven't been out that way for years. I also frequently visited the Hinckley Knight and the Pretty Pigs a few miles along the A5. Sadly Crick never got home rule but I remember the appeal painted on a railway bridge.
The attraction at Priors Hardwick was their pork speciality - gammon, eggs and chips to be precise! You could look out the window and see next week's menu (apart from the eggs and chips, of course) trotting around the yard, it was astonishingly tasty, compared to the usual butchers' pork! Edited by member, 13th May 2016 8:25 am
True Blue Coventry Kid

NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
13 of 46  Fri 13th May 2016 9:07am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:857

Norman. I had forgotten the Pretty Pigs, was there a fishing pool there? I am sure I used to fish there many years ago. Thumbs up
Milly rules

Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
14 of 46  Fri 13th May 2016 10:13am  

Yes Anne, The Pretty Pigs at Alvecote. Knew a girl from Newton Regis, took her there on several occasions on my Matchless G45, detuned for road use. When I realised there was a pool at the back I borrowed dad's car, fishing tackle in the boot, then picked up my date June O**** then off to the Pigs. Had a nice day catching small tench and had the occasional beer to stop me dehydrating in the sun. Sadly never saw June again. Yes Norm, the pool contains a mixture of fish but the only bait that works well is a pinch of bread on the hook. Also keeps small perch away. I have caught pike in there but nothing above 4lbs. The pool is very shallow, average depth less than 3ft. I later took my sons there to teach them the noble art of the angle. Easy fishing without to much weed. Dutchman, Sir. Any edible animal has a duty to turn up on my plate at regular intervals, don't mind being reminded. If the Lord intended us to be vegetarians why did he make animals out of meat?
Just old and knackered

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
15 of 46  Fri 13th May 2016 11:23am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1326

Yes, Norman, there are plenty of lakes round there, apparently caused by coal mine subsidence. If we have a lot of this wet stuff the pub finishes up in the lake. Roy's auntie and uncle ran it many, many years ago, before my time, and it was said that if it rained heavily the barrels could be heard hitting the cellar ceiling.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 46 posts

Page 1 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Mobility Scooters
|

Next (newer) topic

Aberfan tragedy, 21 Oct 1966