No actionNo action
202 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
196 of 202  Mon 20th Feb 2017 7:31am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:362

On 7th Feb 2017 7:48am, Midland Red said: Wasn't that referred to as "Fletch" (Fletchamstead Highway) rather than Canley, which was where Ivy Cottage fronted the site?
My father worked at the Gauge during and after the war, dead opposite, and the area was called the Fletch; in particular, there was a small adjacent pub they used at lunchtime, also called the Fletch.
Standard, Triumph & related car companies
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
197 of 202  Mon 20th Feb 2017 8:50am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:990

As some of you know I have been researching the history of Westwood Parish for two or three years. Until 1926 the border between Fletchamstead and Canley followed what is now the bypass. To the east was Canley and to the west Fletchamstead. Tile Hill Lane, between the bypass and the lane's junction with Broad Lane, formed the border between Canley and Whoberley. So, whilst the whole of the Standard site was in Canley, the Gauge & Tool was in Fletchamstead. In earlier times, Canley came under the influence of the Cistercians at Stoneleigh Abbey and Fletchamstead under the Knights Templar at what is now Temple Balsall.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
198 of 202  Mon 20th Feb 2017 9:34am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4340

You're quite correct, Pix - in fact, we're all correct Thumbs up The whole of the Standard site bordered by Tile Hill Lane, Canley Road and Fletchamstead Highway was "Canley" The areas fronting Fletchamstead Highway were known as Fletchamstead North and Fletchamstead South South was Standard's first "shadow factory" which produced components for Bristol Mercury military aero engines, and post-war became Standard's Spare Parts Division North became Standard-Triumph design, engineering and motorsport operation Hence why I remember this part of Canley site being referred to as Fletch Thumbs up
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
199 of 202  Thu 2nd Mar 2017 12:46pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1549

A very sad view from probably St Michael's looking over Priory Row towards the Triumph works on Priory Street. It appears the Luftwaffe certainly made it a target Sad
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
200 of 202  Mon 26th Jun 2017 12:33pm  

Heads up for this year's Standard International Rally, to be held this coming weekend at Woodside, Kenilworth, from mid-day on Friday through to Sunday afternoon - details
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
201 of 202  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 6:27pm  

My photos from the Standard Motor Club International Rally today - enjoy Thumbs up
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
202 of 202  Mon 3rd Jul 2017 9:49pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:250

NeilsYard, I said in another message on this topic that I thought Siegfried Bettmann was buried in Stoke St Michael's graveyard, but I now discover that he was buried in Canley Cemetery in 1951.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 202 of 202 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Things you see
|

Next (newer) topic

Alderman's Green Primary School
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 65ms)