All posts by this member
136 of 145  Thu 20th Apr 2017 10:58am  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
137 of 145  Thu 20th Apr 2017 11:40am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1569

Annewiggy, nice story, and I can fully understand the chicken part, the number of times I cleaned out chicken pens.
Our Kaga
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
138 of 145  Thu 20th Apr 2017 2:36pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:996

We had a fantastic vegetable garden though, if you didn't pick the courgettes the next day they were marrows !
Our Kaga
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
139 of 145  Thu 20th Apr 2017 2:59pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3088

Thanks for the link Pix, I got waylaid and have been watching The Two Ronnies By the Sea and a Picnic for nearly an hour. Very, very funny. Lol Lol Lol
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
140 of 145  Fri 21st Apr 2017 8:41am  

A racy or racing. Sometime in the seventies my wife and I met a couple our own age, who we had a lot in common with; we became firm friends, he was also mad on horse racing. So in 81 we decided to see the Arc de Triomphe, like London there were several tracks around the suburbs. So we went to Paris for ten days, we spent every afternoon at the race tracks, the evening we toured a different district of the city. One evening we decided we would go to St Germain, the grown-up district, window gazing. The place was a labyrinth of congestion, crowds of people bustling through the narrow streets sightseeing. Our friends dropped back a little, my wife did too, to tell them something. I sauntered on. Soon there was a very attractive young lady at my side. "You Engla?" "Yes". "You like the things you see in the window?" (God she was pretty) "Yes". I got intrigued with the conversation. After a few minutes my wife and friends burst out laughing, they were right behind me listening. I was in my mid fifties, they took the micky for a long time afterwards.
Our Kaga
Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
141 of 145  Fri 21st Apr 2017 12:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:371

On 19th Apr 2017 5:40pm, Dreamtime said: Kaga, do you remember seeing chunks of glass cemented in high walls to keep intruders out. Wouldn't be allowed today.
It was everywhere when we were kids. When we got older, we used to climb over such a wall along my mate's back garden to gain access to Canley Car Deliveries, just for the devilment of it. Anything that suggested KEEP OUT was red rag to a bull. Bit by bit, over time, there wasn't much glass left, as we took delight in breaking it off. The other trick was a couple of rough hessian sacks placed over the glass. Dream, you're right that it wouldn't be allowed now that we have a nanny state.
On 19th Apr 2017 5:40pm, Dreamtime said: Also someone running out with a brush and shovel after the horse had moved away just to make their rhubarb grow better.
Yes: we had a weekly rag and bone man with his horse and cart, à la Steptoe, and there were allotments opposite the houses. One old chap used to regularly get the fresh muck from the road for his allotment. We thought it disgusting that he used to transfer it from tarmac to bucket with his bare hands! Oh my
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
142 of 145  Fri 21st Apr 2017 4:59pm  

Yes I do remember the glass in the walls, but worse than that, as I posted before, the council put iron railings about two feet from our front wall. These were metal spikes, I often thought if one of us fell through the bedroom window we would have been spiked. On the corner of the Precinct was a men's outfitters, above it a coffee shop, someone opened the window, the wind caught the window and blew it to. The pane dropped out narrowly missing me but hitting a woman, early fifties time.
Our Kaga
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
143 of 145  Fri 21st Apr 2017 10:34pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:473

My father worked in a foundry and had a little sideline in his breaks making very sharp serrated iron strips with spikes that could be screwed to the tops of gates and walls as a more permanent version of the cemented glass. I tried to climb over our gate once, never again! Oh my
Our Kaga
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
144 of 145  Sat 22nd Apr 2017 8:50am  
Off-topic / chat  

Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
145 of 145  Mon 24th Apr 2017 7:41am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:371

The metal spikes atop iron railings were common. We had such a fence in our school playground, alongside the driveway to an electricity substation. There were some paladins in front of the fence, which was about 6 feet high, making it easy to climb up. Of course, the EMEB area was out of bounds, and this was reiterated in assembly by the head one day. He told us that one boy had climbed over to retrieve a wayward ball, and whilst climbing back, he had slipped, with the result that one of the old rusty iron spikes went right through his foot, necessitating hospital treatment. Man-traps (of the type I'm sure you are referring to, Philip!) were commonplace before the invention of the nanny state. There used to be a model/toy shop down Far Gosford Street, one of the old single-storey, somewhat dilapidated buildings (long since demolished I believe). About 2 feet below the ceiling was a mesh of bare steel wire criss-crossing from the walls. There was also an industrial type contactor and pneumatic timer, equally crude and amateurish, attached to the woodwork about the shop door. All of the wiring was exposed to the touch, and it was plugged into the raw mains. I guess the owner of the shop had been burgled once too often, and decided that the next person to enter outside business hours via a hole cut in the roof would be in for a nasty shock! Oh my Edited by member, 24th Apr 2017 10:27 am
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 136 to 145 of 145 posts

Page 10 of 10

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Holy Trinity Church
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Speedway
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)