Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

Any offers against Max Woosnam? Oh my
Britain's greatest sportsman
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Mon 11th Jul 2016 6:40am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3124

Yes, I think we have to agree after reading all about him MR, a real 'all rounder ' Thumbs up
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Mon 11th Jul 2016 7:16pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1337

Wow, how come he's not a well known name, eh! Is there anything that man couldn't do??? I certainly can't think of anyone who comes close to that level of versatility and accomplishment.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Tue 12th Jul 2016 10:18am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2295

MR. Isn't that the same guy I posted about some time back? You are also forgetting that he was a pro amongst amateurs. Can you imagine in the 1920's some Coventry kid saying to his 'boss hey I want time off to play amateur for Man United', 'yeh take all the time you want'. Or some working kid say 'I'm taking time off to go to Wimbledon, and you can pay all expenses'. He had the money to train, travel and compete, a pro among working class people. Yes he had some talent, but the money counted. Without it he was an also ran. I do not doubt for one minute a 147 break happened at Longford Hall many moons ago. It was not uncommon for school teams to be the same people in soccer, cricket and athletics back in the thirties even. I feel people today forget what the class system was in the old days and the effect it had on their lives.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Tue 12th Jul 2016 11:19am  

Ooh, Kaga Oh my don't shoot the messenger! His record speaks for itself, cannot be taken away. His life is chronicled in the book All Round Genius – The Unknown Story of Britain's Greatest Sportsman, by Mick Collins. Who's your nomination, then? Wink
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 16  Tue 12th Jul 2016 5:02pm  

MR Yes I guess it seems I'm butting in your topic, forgive me, but I knew roughly his background from way back, and yes you can't take his record from him, but there were many in those days, given his opportunities, would have got close to his record. I'm sure I posted a story about him some time back because I remembered pieces about him. When was the book printed? No I have no nomination, but one of the bravest sportsmen I witnessed was Sydney Wooderson.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Tue 12th Jul 2016 5:51pm  

2006 Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Wed 13th Jul 2016 9:08am  

thank you.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Sun 24th Jul 2016 5:43pm  

Midland Red, not quite the same, but there were many multi talented people way back that hit the papers quite often. CB Fry was one I remember. so I looked him up. Cricketer, politician, diplomat, academic, teacher, writer, editor, publisher. Known as the king of of English sportsmen. Played for Southampton in the FA Cup Final. Equalled the world long jump, played rugby for the Barbarians. We kids in the thirties had our sports heroes that were always hitting the headlines.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Sun 24th Jul 2016 5:53pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:486

Hi Kaga Wave , Fry could also apparently jump from a standing start on to a mantelpiece. I'm not sure how you discover you can do that as I've never come across anybody who has tried it - mind you, you need to be sure the mantelpiece was well secured in the first placeRoll eyes . Edited by member, 24th Jul 2016 5:55 pm
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Sun 24th Jul 2016 6:13pm  

Not British, but idolized by thousands of British kids in the thirties was Johnny Weismuller, his swimming record is worth reading. He also inspired a lot of English kids to take up swimming and improve their health. Old Lincolnian. Well the mantelpieces were strong enough, and wide enough in those days. Roger Watkins (diver) from the Livingstone pool, I once saw do a standing somersault, about three feet off the ground on the pavement outside the said pool. I had to offer my apologies hastily, don't doubt people so much after that.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Mon 1st Aug 2016 1:53pm  

Old Lincolnian, I was watching Tom Daley on Saturday night, when all of a sudden he leapt off the floor onto a ledge, an enormous leap, I wondered if you were watching? Kaga.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Mon 1st Aug 2016 4:18pm  

Sorry Kaga, I missed that but I'll keep my eyes open for it. I suppose diving is one of the sports where you would develop strong leg muscles especially with the modern training methods. OL
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Thu 25th Aug 2016 3:39pm  

Hi Kaga Wave , have you seen the Peaty press-up Adam Peaty Press-Up It almost looks as if he's on a wire
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Thu 25th Aug 2016 7:33pm  

OL No I have not seen that clip before, probably higher than most, but without trying to be critical in anyway I often saw it done by Coventry's own Graham Symonds - must be a swimmers' exercise - but back in those days one was criticised if not head up facing front, but a very hard exercise indeed. Thank you for for the link. Kaga.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Broomfield Park
|

Next (newer) topic

Old Coventry telephone directories