No actionNo action
65 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
61 of 65  Mon 28th Nov 2016 12:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2501

A misty November morn and the air is so still that leaves from the big oak tree fall straight down. The hawthorn hedges are bare at the top, their lower branches still clad in skirts of pale yellow and green. Each blade of grass heavy with moisture, the grasses squelch below my feet, summer pride has passed. A robin warbles as I pass, the swallows have all left, but the starlings in their hundreds clamber for space on the telephone wires, chirping at their loudest. Suddenly they are flying again, massed in a big body, one expecting them every moment dashing into each other, but no such happening. A copper beech burns orange and brown, its leaves falling, turning and twisting to the ground, the time of slumber and decline, but autumn's breath like fine wine. Peewits call instantly on the lonely marshes, the last relics of gorse a tarnished yellowy-gold. Tall trees stretch out their arms, yet whisper gently with the caressing winds above the lovely earth. A weary ploughman turned his horses to the last furrow of the day, and I strolled home as twilight was falling.
Non-Coventry - Countryside memories
Dreamtime
62 of 65  Mon 28th Nov 2016 2:00pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
63 of 65  Tue 29th Nov 2016 11:03am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2501

The little old school I attended was rectangular in shape but just one big room, with one teacher, a third of the way down was an old coal/coke stove, then there were about a dozen desks with two wooden chairs at each. The rest of the pupils had to sit on long wooden benches, our parents, brothers and sisters had attended that school, from way back at the turn of the 20th century. The playground spread around three sides, beyond that was fields. We were like one big family, everyone knew each other, had visited each other's houses at sometime or other, a community that had hardly changed in thirty odd years. The ages between 5 to 8 year olds. Along one wall was a row of hooks that took all the coats, there could be as many as forty kids at one time, the times tables and the alphabet was all sung in rhythmic verse fashion, easy to remember. The girl that sat with my sister at one desk for three years, five years later her brother sat at a desk along side me for three years, that was the way back then. But we were taught honesty, loyalty, and respect above all.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
64 of 65  Wed 30th Nov 2016 10:53pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:566

Annewiggy, thanks for your research and lovely reply I too revisited Ashby in the last 10 years and showed my wife where I went to school there etc. My first year in senior school after attending the Ashby Girls Grammar School (Primary) was spent in the Manor House, which was in the grounds next door to the castle, all I can remember is there was a beautiful enormous magnolia tree opposite the house. At playtime we used to gather on the footpath that ran from top to bottom on the site and view and swap shrapnel and any bits of war wreckage we picked up, some of the lads' parents were in REME which was stationed, I think at Gopsall woods, just outside Measham on the Atherstone Road. Some of them brought in strings of cordite (I think) which they used to cut off a piece and set a match to and it would shoot off in any direction. During the war I think Ashby did have a biscuit factory called Meredith and Drew. One day a chap brought in a fox cub on a rope for us to see. I don`t remember a garage at the top of the hill having cars, but (I think) I remember Doctor Hart stopping at it to get petrol one day. Reference Tamworth - I have played rugby there post war, but I was also there during the war (probably the early part) having a mastoid operation. Our family including my father and mother and part of his school (Hen Lane?) had been evacuated to Polesworth. I seem to remember part of the lessons were in a type of village hall, which had a stage and I think it was like an enormous shack, seem to remember corrugated iron, Anyway all my family were billeted with a chap that worked on a dredger on the canal - and he used to bring me marbles that they must have dredged up. While there, that was where I caught measles, which apparently gave me a mastoid in one ear and permanent deafness in the other (of course nobody believed me when I said I was deaf, not even my mother and it was only when I got to sea training school that it was officially discovered - result was I could hear imperfectly with one ear, but made up what I thought I heard). The doctor was called, he was a Scotsman. First question - "What`s your nem?" Answer - "I haven`t got a nem" I don`t think that had anything to do with deafness.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
65 of 65  Thu 1st Dec 2016 7:43pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1325

I have looked on the newspaper site and there was a Meredith and Drew Biscuit factory in Ashby, Roger. What a lovely place to go to school. We joined English Heritage this year so we went to visit the castle. Although it is only a ruin it was interesting. I didn't go up the tower though, couldn't manage that. My mother-in-law took in evacuees during the war. She didn't have to as she had 5 of the then 6 children she had at home and her sister. She took pity on a couple of families who couldn't be placed anywhere else, one from Birmingham and one from Coventry. A tale I have been told is that the little girl from Birmingham was given a boiled egg one day and she said "a woolen all to mesen", she had never had a whole egg before.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 65 of 65 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Lawrence of Arabia
|

Next (newer) topic

Northern Lights