No actionNo action
128 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
121 of 128  Mon 20th May 2019 9:20am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2152

Hoping for improvements too. My only criticism with this (without wanting to get too political) is that Mr Harrabin, the chairman of the Historic Coventry Trust, is also well known for having his own extensive and successful building company. I'm sure part of that £25million (will it really cost that much?) may be heading their way. Edited by member, 20th May 2019 9:20 am
Burges and Cross Cheaping
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
122 of 128  Tue 21st May 2019 2:51am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:390

I'd like the clock to be regilbertised.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
123 of 128  Sat 10th Aug 2019 8:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5340

Why the Burges is called the Burges Thumbs up
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
124 of 128  Sat 10th Aug 2019 9:47pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1444

Oh dear! The so called trainee journalist who wrote that article has got it all wrong! She said that "Historically, the word burges means 'between the bridges'." Goodness knows how she came to that conclusion from a single word. Burges is simply a corruption of Bridges - or, possibly more correctly, the other way around. It is an example of "metathesis", which is the historical swapping of letters within a word. The same applies to many words, including the old English "bridd", which became "bird", and "aks" (ax), which is now "ask". (Little do the illiterate few, who pronounce it that way, know, that they're actually pronouncing it the originally correct way!) The journalist was right that the short stretch of street was known as "between the bridges" (or perhaps originally "between the burges"?), but that has simply been shortened to "Burges", unsurprisingly - most of us avoid an unnecessary mouthful whenever possible!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
125 of 128  Sun 11th Aug 2019 9:38am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

Oh dear, And we as kids always said, “Why don't you ax somebody?” and parents and teachers alike told us off for being wrong, said we were lazy.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
126 of 128  Sun 11th Aug 2019 9:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1482

Now you see it, now you don't. Views from the corner of West Orchard, looking towards Ironmonger Row, before and after the east side of Cross Cheaping was removed to build Owen Owen.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
127 of 128  Sun 11th Aug 2019 9:37pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1482

On 11th Aug 2019 9:38am, Kaga simpson said: Oh dear, And we as kids always said, “Why don't you ax somebody?” and parents and teachers alike told us off for being wrong, said we were lazy.
If you could go back in time to correct them, you'd just get a clip round the ear for being a smark alec.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
128 of 128  Mon 12th Aug 2019 8:08am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2960

Helen F Yes, that you would, and sometimes you were dragged to the front of the class by your ear, that was most painful. Helen, for the first ten years of my life, that's how I saw the Burges - like your photos, open, clean shopping area. It was the first Owen Owen that dwarfed it and made it darker, more foreboding - the second Owen's absolutely isolated it, cut it off from the city no question, in fact it separated Broadgate, destroyed the harmony of the buildings, and both parts suffered. As much as Coventry wanted a new city and modern shops it really destroyed what had been the city centre.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 121 to 128 of 128 posts

Page 9 of 9

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Our Philip
|

Next (newer) topic

Famous Coventry Visitors