No actionNo action
51 posts:
Order:    

mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
46 of 51  Tue 27th Mar 2018 11:27am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:358

If not a Morgan then probably a BSA. The registration mark is from 1929.
Burges and Cross Cheaping
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
47 of 51  Tue 27th Mar 2018 2:00pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1704

That postcard is terrific Cliff as it really demonstrates the line up from Cross Cheaping going up in to Broadgate Thumbs up
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
48 of 51  Tue 27th Mar 2018 3:01pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:923

That must be the clearest photo I've seen looking up the Burges MR. It would make a good before and after. Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
49 of 51  Wed 28th Mar 2018 5:12am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2985

I notice the difference in the clocks above Samuel's Anne, your pic dated in the 20's and then MR's also above Samuel's dated 1937 although in the square casing. Great pics, folks Thumbs up Edited by member, 28th Mar 2018 5:21 am
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
50 of 51  Wed 28th Mar 2018 7:51pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:179

On 27th Mar 2018 11:27am, mcsporran said: If not a Morgan then probably a BSA. The registration mark is from 1929.
It's possibly an early Morgan, the model is a "runabout". This is after consulting a few friends, past and present Morgan owners. Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
51 of 51  Fri 30th Mar 2018 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1981

The Burges, also known as the bottom of Broadgate, was one of the most popular and busiest shopping streets in Coventry until 1936. It was a colourful and fascinating spectacle for a boy. I loved to browse those shop windows hungry to discover something unexpected, to press my face against sticky panes of glass and peer in through the window. There were two traditions in those days, boys left school at 14 could now wear long trousers, you had to wait until you were 21 before you were a man, and generally given a wrist watch or fob watch for a coming of age present. With our family both came from the Burges. After the war and the strikes of 26/27 only a handful of people could afford to buy watches. But in those days everything ran to time, trams, buses, shops, factories, so the clocks in the streets played a big part in people's lives. Few people had watches. Only one shop sold rubber boots that laced up and had a wide tongue, that was suitable for farm work. The cobbler's shop sold the old elastic boot laces, a little stronger than elastic bands, they were good for shooting pieces of paper in the classroom. Another shop sold the old cut-throat razors with bone handles and the leather 'strops' for them. I hated the day when I would have to use one. But time and technology was on my side. Around 1936 they built the new Trinity Street and with it lopped off half of the Burges to build the ugly Owen Owen's. From that time on the Burges lost trade and went downhill.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 51 of 51 posts

Page 4 of 4

1 2 3 4
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry pubs
|

Next (newer) topic

Butcher Row
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 120ms)