Next pageLast page
66 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 66  Mon 8th Aug 2016 12:19pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2864

Is it true roses don't like living in pots? I have heard different views about that. It's just that roses are a favourite of mine and I have heard so many different views on 'pots' or 'open ground'. Thank you anyway.
Our gardening thread
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 66  Tue 9th Aug 2016 9:44am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:444

Hi Dreamtime, This is from the RHS, is it of any help? Growing Roses In Containers
Our gardening thread
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 66  Tue 9th Aug 2016 3:09pm  

Hello Old Lincolnian, Thank you so much for your last post. The link was so helpful and I have downloaded all the information. It is more up to date than the old literature I have. Thumbs up
Our gardening thread
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 66  Tue 9th Aug 2016 5:00pm  

You're welcome Dreamtime Wave
Our gardening thread
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
5 of 66  Tue 9th Aug 2016 10:57pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

Please forgive my curiosity in this cosy little chat that was hidden in the narrative section. I was curious and opened it and Lo! found advice on container roses and I too looked at the information given. And very handy it was too, I have had two standard roses in containers at my front door for the last 7/8 years. They thrived for the first few years, but have subsequently gone down the drain - still alive, but definitely not very happy - they fail to make much growth. It is obvious from the info that they shouldn`t be in a container.
Our gardening thread
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
6 of 66  Wed 10th Aug 2016 3:48am  

Hi Roger, Yes, I have a feeling once in the pot they die a slow lingering death. I did heed the advice about having a DEEP pot but still dubious about that. Thank you lads, what would we do without all the information we receive on this forum. --- Now, shall I or shan't I use a deeper pot. Maybe for the miniture roses I think, they are just as colourful and so pretty. Thank you once again. Wave PS. Perhaps the secret is in the rich mulch.
Our gardening thread
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 66  Wed 10th Aug 2016 1:12pm  

Hi Roger, I set my reply as chat because it is off topic. I would use a deeper pot Dreamtime but make sure it is fed well and watered. if possible mulch it as the soil will fairly quickly lose its goodness. I find the important thing with any container outside is to make sure it is not touching the ground or the drainage holes will quickly block up, I usually use small wooden blocks. Good luck!!!
Our gardening thread
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
8 of 66  Wed 10th Aug 2016 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:992

And with that in mind can I remind people of the 'Coventry Rose' poem reproduced on this site.
Our gardening thread
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 66  Wed 10th Aug 2016 4:44pm  

I hope there are more of us rose lovers out there and I would appreciate any further tips as to their well being, especially against the dreaded 'blackspot'. Having just pruned my Golden Bunnies (12 months old) I don't want to have to keep spraying them from a can. I have to admit I have been known to talk to mine. Blush Old Lincolnian, I have noted your tip and all my pots I try to keep them on feet of some sorts. May I also ask, do you lift your spring bulbs or do you leave them in to die down each year, presuming you grow them? Wave
Our gardening thread
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
10 of 66  Wed 10th Aug 2016 4:54pm  

Lovely, very hard to follow that one Pix, thank you. Now will someone pass me the tissues.
Our gardening thread
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
11 of 66  Thu 11th Aug 2016 11:31am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

Thanks Pix - can only follow Dreamtime, wonderful how a little rose can tell such a defiant and heart warming story.
Our gardening thread
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 66  Thu 11th Aug 2016 12:08pm  

Dreamtime, I leave spring bulbs in the ground until the leaves die off (you can knot the longer ones like daffodils), then in theory I lift them but often forget or have left it too late to find them which means you get a nice surprise in spring when the reappear.
Our gardening thread
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
13 of 66  Thu 11th Aug 2016 1:19pm  

Thank you Old Lincolnian, Would you believe I have had a couple of dozen daffs and narcissus in storage for over a year in newspaper in my daughter's shed (I was having a new home built) and when I finally moved in then planted all these old bulbs, with not a lot of optimism, but hey presto, most of them have bloomed and still some yet to come into bud. I did plant them each into some new potting mix in the ground. I will do as you say and leave these in as I was tickled pink with their success. Wave
Our gardening thread
Wimero
Nr Rugby
All posts by this member
14 of 66  Fri 12th Aug 2016 7:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:148

Anyone got any tips for getting rid of bindweed. Twisted
Our gardening thread
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 66  Fri 12th Aug 2016 12:15pm  

Hi Wimero, Bindweed is an absolute pain and like so many others there is no easy way to get rid of it (you could try moving Smile ). It also depends on where it is growing but again I think the best advice is on the RHS site. Bindweed Whatever method you use you are in it for the long haul. Good luck! Cheers
Our gardening thread

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 66 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Spon End
|

Next (newer) topic

Where is this in Coventry?
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 55ms)