No actionNo action
17 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
16 of 17  Thu 25th Aug 2016 11:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:714

You can zoom into the maps, or at least you used to be able. I did a great many screen prints and stitched them all back together in Powerpoint to give me a useable map (yes I am mad). I wanted to be able to read all the little notes, particularly the building number. The number of floors and roof material is marked on many of the buildings as well as the use. I'd forgotten that the left side wasn't on the same map as the right. I sometimes stuck the two sides of a road together to work out things like - what was at the end of the street - like Ironmonger Row. I often don't know the modern layout because it's the wrong temporal direction. I start old and work backwards. The aerial photos are also invaluable. It took me ages to spot all the views of particular buildings from each aerial shot. eg I was missing any view of one pub on Greyfriars Lane until I spotted a fuzzy version of it on one photo, just peeking between two taller buildings. Any other angle and it was obscured.
Warners and AF (?) Evans shops
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
17 of 17  Tue 30th Aug 2016 2:07am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:275

This is my updated picture, there were too many adjustments to make so I redid the whole thing: The currently empty shop to the left of William Hill seems to be the Warners location. Edited by member, 30th Aug 2016 2:14 am
Warners and AF (?) Evans shops

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 17 of 17 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Days Lane and East Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Gilbert Street 1870
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 80ms)