No actionNo action
9 posts:
Order:    

InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
1 of 9  Fri 18th Feb 2011 10:21am  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:131

I remember in the early 1950s there was a cross outside St John's Church, which my father maintained was called Bablake Cross. I can find no trace of it now, nor does there seem to be any reference to it anywhere. Can anyone throw any light on this?
Regards Innis Road

Bablake Cross
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
2 of 9  Mon 28th Feb 2011 9:38am  

The structure in question might have been the drinking fountain of 1959. If so, what has happened to it now?
Regards Innis Road

Bablake Cross
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
3 of 9  Mon 28th Feb 2011 10:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3082

InnisRoad said: I Remember in the early 1950s there was a cross outside St John's Church, which my father maintained was called Bablake Cross. I can find no trace of it now, nor does there seem to be any reference to it anywhere. Can anyone throw any light on this?
There's a recent picture showing what I presume is the cross or drinking fountain in the grounds of Bablake Hospital on Cliff Jones' website: Coventry in Photographs Incidentally I believe that area was of spiritual significance long before any christian church was built on the site. During the dark ages it was a Viking stronghold from which the nearby river "Flete" takes its name. The Celts and Romans also attached spiritual significance to the local water. At one time I believe it was considered good luck to dunk a new bride in a well just behind where the church is now. Not sure how the new brides felt about that? :o)
Bablake Cross
InnisRoad
Hessle
All posts by this member
4 of 9  Tue 1st Mar 2011 1:33pm  

I have looked at the website and there is one old sepia photograph, probably Victorian, which shows the cross already in its present location. Unfortunately, the drinking fountain hypothesis is scotched because, apparently, it was demolished in the 1880s. So, I'm not sure what it was that I remember. I have looked at some early 20th Century photographs and I canot find it there. Perhaps I imagined the whole thing.
Regards Innis Road

Bablake Cross
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
5 of 9  Tue 7th Oct 2014 6:39pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:247

If my memory serves me right I believe there was a drinking fountain but not at Bablake Hospital, rather at the bottom of Fleet Street and shown in some pictures of St John's Church. I will try to locate it, it may be on Rob's site already! It is there under title 'St John's Church from Smithford St' Here it is: Drinking fountain 1859
Bablake Cross
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
6 of 9  Wed 8th Oct 2014 8:37am  

Here's another of the drinking fountain from Rob's pictures or perhaps it is the site only of where the fountain would be: Edited by member, 8th Oct 2014 8:39 am
Bablake Cross
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
7 of 9  Wed 8th Oct 2014 1:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3082

Also on Rob's site here: St. John's Church, Fleet Street
Bablake Cross
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
8 of 9  Wed 8th Oct 2014 3:27pm  

Excellent Dutchman, this is the one I thought I had found!
Bablake Cross
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 9  Fri 14th Oct 2016 4:22pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1518

Does anyone know what the stone cross represents in Cliffs picture that Dutchman linked to above? I can see there are initials on it - one TW is presumably Thomas Wheatley the main benefactor so presumably a memorial to suchlike? Edited by member, 14th Oct 2016 4:23 pm
Bablake Cross

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

First Coventry aircraft flight
|

Next (newer) topic

Wood End
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 78ms)