No actionNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
16 of 18  Wed 28th Sep 2016 3:04pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:362

On 28th Sep 2016 12:36pm, Dreamtime said: Oh that lovely word 'SOOT', my dad would swear by it, kept the snails at bay as well as the embers from the fire and chimney. Up to our necks in muck and bullets we were on the local bomb site. It was nothing to catch measles off someone and we were all too idle to go in the house for a pee, so long as there was somewhere to sneak behind we were never too proud in those days.
Nor were we.
On 28th Sep 2016 12:36pm, Dreamtime said: As long as us kids were happy out there so were our parents. Slim is right they are too cossetted these days and we wonder why children seem to have lost their immunity to different sickness. The rag 'n bone man has long gone, now we have bulk refuse collections every so often and what a mess that is after folk have rummaged through it on the kerbside and left the remains all over the place. Roll eyes
Quite often some of our neighbours in Cannon Park had the same problem, after they had put out plastic sacks: the following day, the sacks were ripped open, and the contents strewn everywhere. I used to blame stray dogs, or foxes. One morning I was up very early and caught the culprits: there were about a dozen birds, crows and magpies, on the lawn, taking turns at pecking the sack open!
Rag 'n' Bone men
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 18  Wed 28th Sep 2016 3:50pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:433

We still get the modern version of the rag 'n' bone man about twice a week but they want everything for free, no chance of a balloon or goldfish! When we lived in Dover Street we had the same problem with bin sacks but it was rats from the Lady Mayoresses Club. We ended up in an "Alice's Restaurant " situation with the council. They found an envelope with my name on it and decided we were dumping litter in the back entry and threatened to take me to court. In the end I had to produce photographs of the rats ripping the bags apart before they agreed to drop the case, it took about six months to resolve it Twisted
Rag 'n' Bone men
Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
18 of 18  Wed 28th Sep 2016 4:58pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:362

I have a theory that nowadays, the metal thieves have put the rag'n bone men out of business. Dover Street - cor blimey, that takes me back. My parents had an account with Coventry Factors, and I often accompanied them there, when very young. I vaguely remember their old building, and a church type building with a spire next door. Part of Dover St, and the spire, are still there. I parked there recently for a breakfast morning.
Rag 'n' Bone men

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 18 of 18 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Alexandra Terrace, Foleshill
|

Next (newer) topic

Copyright
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 62ms)