No actionNo action
12 posts:
Order:    

Suitably Chastised
Where the Teacher can see me
All posts by this member
1 of 12  Wed 5th Oct 2016 6:04pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:126

Hi, anyone got any photos or memories of the above? It was the first themed pub I ever went into in Grayswood Avenue in the early 70s, the pub was divided into various bars. Around the World in 80 days was one I can recall, Pukka Sahib was another. Cheers
The Jules Verne pub
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
2 of 12  Wed 5th Oct 2016 6:14pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:846

Yes, I lived round the corner from it, and can remember a hot air balloon etc in the room I used at that time.
Milly rules

The Jules Verne pub
Midland Red

All posts by this member
3 of 12  Wed 5th Oct 2016 6:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4141

It was the Three Spires when I went there in the sixties Oh my Here is the house on the Real Ale Rambles site Thumbs up
The Jules Verne pub
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 12  Thu 6th Oct 2016 12:58am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2853

Oh, gosh that takes me back a few years (too many to mention) We had our first house in Lincroft Cres. when we were first married so that was our local watering hole. It had a bowls strip on the back lawn in its early days and it was the Three Spires when we were there - 1961 to 74. It must have been The Jules Verne when we left, revamped with different eateries around the world, that figures. Thanks for the memories MR. Cheers I have seen a few photos pop up. It looks a nice place situated on the corner (well it did, don't know about these days)
The Jules Verne pub
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
5 of 12  Thu 6th Oct 2016 8:33pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:448

Hi Dreamtime, My aunt lived at 112 Lincroft Crescent (Elsie Tomlinson)
The Jules Verne pub
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 12  Thu 6th Oct 2016 9:33pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1500

I spent alot of time in the 'Spires' in the 80's. My parents lived in Allesley and at that time the same crowd went to the same pubs on different nights of every week. Most Fri, Sat and Sundays I at least started in there. Always remember getting back to Cov after the '87 final and the landlord Ray dancing on his own pool tables! Edited by member, 6th Oct 2016 9:33 pm
The Jules Verne pub
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 12  Fri 7th Oct 2016 11:56am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2853

On 6th Oct 2016 8:33pm, Roger Turner said: Hi Dreamtime, My aunt lived at 112 Lincroft Crescent (Elsie Tomlinson)
Hi Roger. After all these years. Dear Mrs. Tomlinson, my children's dinner lady at St. John's School. A lovely neighbour, used to love holidaying at The Lakes. Tried to coax my son to eat his dinner many a time. We used to live right opposite on the corner, No.75. Thumbs up
The Jules Verne pub
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 12  Fri 7th Oct 2016 12:14pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:431

I used the Verne for a while in the early seventies. I'd just moved into Craven Street and my neighbours used it because the clientele was younger than the local pubs. A lot of the lads in Whoberley, who were around my age - early 20's - used it. The atmosphere was always nice and friendly and we often used it as a meeting point before heading into town.
The Jules Verne pub
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 12  Fri 7th Oct 2016 12:17pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:224

Do any of you remember a short woman named Iris and her Asian husband Elas ? Number 66 I think. My boys joked that if Elas's last name was Tickband his full name would be Elas Tickband
The Jules Verne pub
Midland Red

All posts by this member
10 of 12  Tue 18th Oct 2016 10:53am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4141

1982 photo of the pub's darts team being raffled off for charity Oh my
The Jules Verne pub
charabanc
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 12  Tue 18th Oct 2016 11:14am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:154

As the Jules Verne, I believe that it was a unique pub. The decor was superb, the Shanghai Waterfront having the prow of a wooden sailing ship projecting into it and barrels to sit on. Another area had saloon bar swing doors to pass through and shop fronts of 'wild west' character as its walls. In the room with the hot air balloons suspended from the ceiling there were a set of railway carriage compartments at one end , just for twosomes, I think.
The Jules Verne pub
Atlas
France
All posts by this member
12 of 12  Sun 19th Feb 2017 8:10am  
Member: Joined Feb 2017  Total posts:2

On 18th Oct 2016 10:53am, Midland Red said: 1982 photo of the pub's darts team being raffled off for charity Oh my
Hi, just found this site after searching online for the Jules Verne. I remember going there when it was first opened and pretending I was 18! I recognise a couple of people in the photo, especially Mick Morby, 2nd from the right. Knew him for years and used to live a few doors away from him on Allesley Old Rd.
The Jules Verne pub

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

City centre shopping precincts
|

Next (newer) topic

Dissenters burying ground, Coventry
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 55ms)