Next pageNo action
46 posts:
Order:    

matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
31 of 46  Fri 29th Aug 2014 8:34pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:193

Having just read through all the comments on the Freeman's oath has made me think. I was halfway through my apprenticeship and my family upped sticks and moved from Tile Hill to Warwick, my dad then got me a job at a firm in Leamington where I finished my time but I continued my day and evening classes in Coventry. I wonder if there would be any chance of me taking the oath?????

Question

Freemen of the City of Coventry
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
32 of 46  Fri 29th Aug 2014 9:39pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2216

Origins of the guild Edited by member, 29th Aug 2014 9:41 pm
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
33 of 46  Sat 30th Aug 2014 1:29am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3200

Most interesting Morgana, thank you. My Tony took his on 10th Oct. 1961, I don't suppose there are any members out there who attended on that date. No photos I am afraid, wish I had. Wave
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
34 of 46  Sat 30th Aug 2014 2:59pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:566

Again I`m in your debt, morgana - I followed your link and "bingo" photographs of my great uncle Alec I had never seen before and what`s more learned of his involvement in the Guild. Oh well! I never made the Guild, although I did play for Trinity Guild rugby team for a while!
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
35 of 46  Sat 30th Aug 2014 3:31pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1325

Roger, there is a nice picture of the members of the Freeman's Guild 1946 posed for a picture in "Coventry a Century of News" by Alton Douglas. As it is a 1991 book I won't post it on here as I am still not sure about copyright laws but there are several cheap copies of the book on www.Abebooks.co.uk. I am pretty sure my stepgrandad is on the picture but when I wrote to the Guild they could not find his name on the list!
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
36 of 46  Wed 3rd Sep 2014 11:30am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1064

Might be of interest to others
TonyS
37 of 46  Wed 3rd Sep 2014 11:57am  
Off-topic / chat  

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
38 of 46  Wed 3rd Sep 2014 12:11pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:566

By jingo. Grandpa used to dole out his Seniority money to his grandchildren in florins (2/-) at £6.20 a throw - we didn`t do too badly. Only thing is I cannot remember how I spent it!
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
39 of 46  Sun 15th Apr 2018 11:10pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:19

On 29th Aug 2014 8:34pm, matchle55 said: Having just read through all the comments on the Freeman's oath has made me think. I was halfway through my apprenticeship and my family upped sticks and moved from Tile Hill to Warwick, my dad then got me a job at a firm in Leamington where I finished my time but I continued my day and evening classes in Coventry. I wonder if there would be any chance of me taking the oath?????
Hi The qualification requires that the apprenticeship must have been performed at an address either within 4.5 miles of St Mary's Guildhall or within the city boundary - please see this link Smile
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
40 of 46  Mon 16th Apr 2018 9:39am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:235

Please correct me if you know better, but I believe exceptions were made such as for AWA at Baginton.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
41 of 46  Mon 16th Apr 2018 11:29am  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:19

Hi bohica I'm unable to comment with regards to possible exceptions - but I would recommend that matchle55 present their documentation to the city as the staff are extremely helpful and keen that anyone who qualifies should receive the honour. Cheers
Potters Green Lad
Long Lawford Rugby
All posts by this member
42 of 46  Mon 16th Apr 2018 9:03pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:37

I received my entrance to the Freemans Guild in November 1975 after serving my time at C&E Motors Limited in Canley as a truck mechanic, one of the proudest days of my life and what an honour. My son is to begin his training to become a blacksmith in September but unfortunately, he will do his time in Hereford, not many blacksmithing opportunities in Coventry anymore so the chance to follow on from the old man is lost. He will, however, become inducted into the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths so at least the tradition of trades guilds isn't entirely lost on today's youth.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
43 of 46  Tue 17th Apr 2018 4:44am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3200

Potters Green Lad, I wish your lad the very best with his blacksmith training. I am sure he will still be needed whilst we still have the beloved horses. Who knows in the distant future we have have to resort to using them again. What a great use for transport. Now some members here will knock that on the head, but what beautiful animals they are. Wave
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
44 of 46  Tue 17th Apr 2018 2:56pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1064

So, what's the difference between a blacksmith and a farrier?

Question

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
45 of 46  Tue 17th Apr 2018 3:06pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:899

A blacksmith works with metal to create all sorts of objects, such as wrought ironware, railings, garden implements and furniture. A farrier is someone who shoes horses. The farrier has blacksmithing skills, but a blacksmith may never have shoed a horse in his life. Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 45 of 46 posts

Page 3 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

What was the first concert you went to?
|

Next (newer) topic

Wilfred Clarence Edwards MM