No actionNo action
81 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
76 of 81  Tue 27th Aug 2019 4:42pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Brilliant Helen, Anne and Rob as usual - Rob's library image here is fantastic - does anyone have or can get this to a better resolution so its readable at all?
Priory Row
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
77 of 81  Wed 28th Aug 2019 10:18pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1525

I'm wrong, the cellars were all connected Oh my . I've got a map of them from Coventry - Medieval Art, Architecture and Archaeology by Linda Monkton and Richard Morris. I'll try and copy it. I'll also try and match up the pictures to the map. Might the magazine be on the site about old newspapers?
Priory Row
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
78 of 81  Thu 29th Aug 2019 12:19pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1522

Sorry Helen, it is not on the newspaper archive site.
Priory Row
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
79 of 81  Thu 29th Aug 2019 1:31pm  

Thanks for looking Anne. It might be available to copy at the Herbert. This is a rough tracing of the cellar map overlaying the Fire Insurance map. The lines don't entirely match up but I suspect that they could be adjusted to get a better version. The cellar on the left, adjacent to Hill Top is the picture I posted looking to the left of the map. The top picture of the magazine is the entrance on the right of the map. The cellar on the bottom right of the magazine page has to be the back cellar under the County Benevolent Burial Society Offices looking to the right of the map. See the two big blocks either side of the central space. That leaves two long spaces that could be the other two pictures that are both the same cellar according to the magazine. Since there is no square pillar in the centre, it must be the other cellar under the front of the County Benevolent Burial Society Offices. The sketch looks like it is looking west (left side of the map) because I think I can see the arch at the end. Can't really see features in the photo so I don't know if it's looking the same way. Most of the cellar walls to the right of the Offices on the map look new and the doorway that Anne's record mentions is the entrance to the cellar under the Offices. It is still there. Those cellars seem to reuse parts of the old cathedral plus some modern (as in not medieval) brick walls. For personal property reasons I imagine that the west end cellars are now separated by partitions and I doubt that any of the newer east end cellars were kept. It's just possible to read most of the magazine text if you blow up the picture but it doesn't really say anything that interesting.
Priory Row
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
80 of 81  Thu 29th Aug 2019 2:01pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2194

Thanks Helen - would you mind if I passed that information on to my friend Alan Denyer? He looks after the Visit Coventry website and has been looking at these. I will credit you and Rob.
Priory Row
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
81 of 81  Thu 29th Aug 2019 2:08pm  

Fine by me Neil. The proviso is that it's a rough sketch and I don't know for sure exactly where the wall lines actually fall, eg I would have thought that the cellars under the Offices would have followed the wall lines above, but...?
Priory Row

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 81 of 81 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

King Henry VIII Grammar School
|

Next (newer) topic

Whitefriars Street (inc. Whitefriars Lane)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2019

Load time: 112ms