Topic categories:

Public Transport and Travel

Coventry Model Railways

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 661 to 672 of 672 posts

Page 45 of 45

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 41 42 43 44 45
No actionNo action
672 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
661 of 672  Mon 25th Sep 2017 2:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2918

Thanks Philip, I can well understand why little boys want to be train drivers when they grow up. Even to this day I find riding on a train is magical. 10/10 for the video. Thumbs up
Public Transport and Travel - Coventry Model Railways
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
662 of 672  Mon 25th Dec 2017 9:43am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3887

Happy Christmas Day all Wave I had my first Hornby Dublo train set on this day in 1953. Duchess of Montrose 46232, along with two Stanier coaches. So started a hobby that I still adore.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
663 of 672  Mon 25th Dec 2017 10:35am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

Me too - same day! Mine was a Triang set with 46201 "Princess Elizabeth" Cheers No doubt Philip will run his layout during the day - wish I had one Oh my
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
664 of 672  Tue 26th Dec 2017 9:49am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1124

By coincidence I bought an old Triang 46201 Princess Elizabeth engine from eBay for our kids' train set a good few years ago. It was a maroon colour.... wasn't your old one, was it?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
665 of 672  Tue 26th Dec 2017 2:15pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4662

No, mine was black Thumbs up
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
666 of 672  Wed 27th Dec 2017 10:12am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1124

Ah, I had a virtually identical black engine, but marked "Princess Victoria" - probably from the same mould though.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
667 of 672  Wed 27th Dec 2017 7:11pm  

Hi all & Hi Dreamtime Wave I enjoy the stage-act of our railway as much as anything, where my imagination puts various characters into the scene. Mayjan & Tricia have been on the railway for ages. Not just the characters sometimes, but the artefacts that I associate them with, like the D-Di ice cream van. Another artefact has arrived this Christmas, that our member JRL might recognise. The 30' static caravan is sited next to the Mason's Arms pub, which is being converted into a fish & chippy. Not an easy place for me to get a camera located, to record long exposure settings, but I do like the site. This is the part of the railway that is still being modelled. There is no railway at this location, quite a walk infact to Hounds Hill station or a bus ride to Burrow Hill station. I did wonder about a tramway but that is still in the think-tank. I am currently putting together some tree kits which arrived from China, which will go in some of the gardens.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
668 of 672  Thu 28th Dec 2017 3:09pm  

Hi all Wave My Pam, having a bit of knee gip, has kept me indoors as her home help, day & night nurse as well as home & shopping help. So, doing a bit to the railway has been fun. Pam is on the mend, hoping to pay me off by Monday. Some updated pictures of Hounds Hill old town, where a bit of natural daylight makes all of the difference to the long exposure photographs. Tree kits added too. They took some moving, mature oak & beech weighing in in full leaf. The angled mirror at the back shows the operating state of the fiddle yard so please ignore that. Pretend it is some kind of super solar energy futuristic blom-blom! Please compare the three pictures on this post, with the previous post, where the Masons Arms looks to have lights inside. No bulbs, no wires no electric or batteries. Just behind the mirror stands a flood-lamp, which illuminates the dead end of the fiddle yard, so by allowing some of the light to shine on reflective yellow sequins, that I have used on the signals & described previously, is just the job. Illuminated fish & chips. I have printed new signs for the chippy, but I like the quaintness of it still being called the Masons arms. We do odd things like that in Hall Brooks. I soon hope to add the fish & chip counters for inside the building, obviously sixties style. Another bit of cheating is the post office building in the background that was given as a gift. It is half the scale that it should be, but that doesn't need to be a problem. I carefully measured the "parallax" distance or disappearing sight line, so placing the post office in that spot. Obviously the illusion only works when viewed in relation to other objects in that direction, but it can only be viewed from this angle, unless from a helicopter, so I hope gives an impression of depth to the scene.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
669 of 672  Thu 28th Dec 2017 3:44pm  

As 'the man' quotes - 'Brill'. It's looking better every time Philip. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
670 of 672  Fri 29th Dec 2017 11:38am  

Hi Dreamtime Wave Our model for me is little different from reading a book, or a grown up version of being a child, having to use imagination. I am so envious of folk who can paint pictures, I struggle to draw a straight line, even though I have had some art & craft lessons, so I model instead. Some of those lessons like prospective have come in handy as with scaling & distance. A friend of mine on Facebook, shows her little girl, playing with her new dolls house, or mini-minx mouse house. I can identify with her delight. Our railway is little different, it just takes up a bit more room. Happy new year to you. Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
671 of 672  Fri 29th Dec 2017 2:00pm  

What a beautiful little face we see. I am sure if you were a dollshouse builder Philip you would be an expert in that field too. Many more Happy New Years to you and yours too. Cheers
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
672 of 672  Sat 30th Dec 2017 5:05pm  

Hi all Wave Sorting the interior of the Masons Arms was easy, compared to a fifties outdoor sign. The ones that I have looked at & can best remember were metal boxes with a bulb behind glass lettering. I shall keep looking, as it isn't just the accuracy of the sign, it has to sit right in my memory. My memories of our local chippy in Torcross Ave, near to the Devon, didn't open until 6pm, Tuesdays to Thursdays, 5pm Fridays & Saturdays. It also opened Saturday lunch time & may have done so on Fridays. I have been told by folks who lived out in the sticks, that is was common on Fridays & Saturdays, for a mobile chip van to arrive at a pub & sometimes a fresh fish van too. This may have been the kickstart to pubs becomeing eating houses as well as selling drinks & packets of crisps. So, is our Masons Arms the evolutionary process in this, a small pub, struggling to cope with the drinking competition of the livlier Swann pub, in the town Square, well liked for serving Cornish steam beers as a bonus? In our fiction Hall Brooks, we also have the out of town pub, the Wheatsheaf, with gardens, a trainride away in Longford. The Swann pub, behind which is the old barn & factory store, sometimes used for dances.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 661 to 672 of 672 posts

Page 45 of 45

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 41 42 43 44 45
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's buses - past and present
|

Next (newer) topic

Railways around Coventry
You are viewing topics in the Public Transport and Travel category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 66ms)