Topic categories:

Sport, Music and Leisure

Our world in miniature, hobbies

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 811 to 825 of 875 posts

Page 55 of 59

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 56 57 58 59
Next pageLast page
875 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
811 of 875  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 11:52am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3571

Helen, I am sure on one of your old school reports you find a teacher's written remark - quote - 'Helen will go far, keep up the good work' Big grin Thumbs up
Sport, Music and Leisure - Our world in miniature, hobbies
Helen F
812 of 875  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 12:08pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
813 of 875  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 1:28pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4374

On 17th Oct 2019 4:13pm, Helen F said: I'm having a fit of the vapours (00 gauge) in shock at your announcement of 'a filthy Standard Class 4 2-6-0'. Oh my Oh my Oh my I'm only saved from a complete swoon because it's mostly covered by your excellent bushy undergrowth. Tee, hee. I'm a bad model train lover because I'm always more interested in the landscape and buildings than the steamy stars of the show. So did they have train washes in those days or was it a mop and bucket job?
Hi Helen, During the last decade of steam operation, some sheds retained a pride in their allocation of locos, they were almost loved, given all the care of a baby. Sadly Coventry wasn't one of them, but Warwick was. In our fictitious Hall Brooks, the "Tippers Hill" shed gang do take a pride with their locos, so in this picture, instead of the grimy loco from York, we have a lovely Class 3 freight loco, & like many of the Class 3s, had received a steam heating pipe for working refrigerator vans, but could also heat passenger trains. I try to create in my mind the working picture that I recall as a trainspotting crank. Never had any of the association of trainspotting clothes as you mention. I was always smart, which got me into sheds (creep) that my chums were never able to.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
814 of 875  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 2:13pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2285

That lighting gives a fine effect of a sunny morning burning off the mist. I'm in the middle of scruffy jobs, so a new anorak and bobble hat would be a step up in sartorial elegance right now. They wouldn't even let me loiter on the grounds.
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
815 of 875  Wed 18th Dec 2019 4:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1146

Edited by member, 19th Dec 2019 2:32 am
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
816 of 875  Wed 18th Dec 2019 6:53pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2676

Not my work and may have been shared before but worth another look!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
817 of 875  Sat 28th Dec 2019 11:07pm  

Hi all Wave Coventry is now devoid of a model railway retailer. Rugby or Birmingham are the nearest. Pete, proprietor of Hobbyrail, in Sutton Coldfield, is a brill friend, but he retired in 2015. His business was bought by couple of enthusiasts, who are part of Bournville model railway club. They moved into the centre of Sutton, the business well scaled down from Pete's emporium shop, but with the club's expertise, they can undertake all manner of servicing or modifications. Very handy for me with my precarious vision. It's almost an embarrassment for me, all the model & kit building that I have done over sixty years, but when my eyesight is iffy, that's how it has to be when I want attention to a loco or the like. Not added anything new to our railway this Christmas period as yet, but if all goes well with Pam next week, a visit might be on the horizon. The railway remains reliable, & provides an interlude every now & again for a shunt in the goods yard, with a coffee & mince pie.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
818 of 875  Sun 29th Dec 2019 9:44am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1774

I know it would be difficult for you to get to Philip but there is still a model railway shop in Tutbury.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
819 of 875  Sun 29th Dec 2019 1:07pm  

Hi Anne & thank you. Yes, several in B'ham too. It's all internet nowadays, which is ok until something needs doing. On vision good days I can cope with most things, but motor replacement needs such good vision just to wire the digital contacts. It's like wiring up a telephone exchange. I use Rails of Sheffield for mail order, & they offer a good service when needed, but by the time I have parcelled up, am half way to Sutton.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
820 of 875  Wed 11th Mar 2020 9:37pm  

Hi all, Pam had a new parcel arrive this morning, my tongue in cheek! I do hope you like. It's a Stanier 2-6-0, the first design of loco from Stanier's drawing board for the LMS. Almost a prototype for his Black Five masterpiece.
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
821 of 875  Wed 11th Mar 2020 9:56pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:112

Hi Philip That's a complicated bit of signalling - closest to camera.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
822 of 875  Thu 12th Mar 2020 3:06am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3571

I wouldn't mind living there Philip, so peaceful and no litter bins in sight! I bet you are both delighted with your new acquisition. The best to you both. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
823 of 875  Thu 12th Mar 2020 10:41am  

On 11th Mar 2020 9:56pm, 3Spires said: Hi Philip That's a complicated bit of signalling - closest to camera.
It's mostly odds & ends from model shop junk boxes. The high level ground signal repeater is working. Our signals are tailored to suit the sittuation. Thank you so much for your kind words. The new loco pressed into immediate service, about to leave Bishops Heath with the morning parcels to Curzon St. Those signals are made from terminal strip. The loco is the most advanced from Bachmann having tender axle pickups. It's brill.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
824 of 875  Sun 15th Mar 2020 10:37am  

As I use self-isolating points on our railway, does that exempt me from having to self isolate?
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
825 of 875  Mon 16th Mar 2020 9:25am  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1603

Your sidings will be a safe-haven Philip! Wink

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 811 to 825 of 875 posts

Page 55 of 59

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 56 57 58 59
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

The future of Coventry Stadium, Brandon
|

Next (newer) topic

Lythalls Lane Stadium (Greyhounds and Speedway)
You are viewing topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 75ms