No actionNo action
68 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
61 of 68  Mon 21st Nov 2016 2:10pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:469

Alan once mentioned he had been the youngest HoD at the college, he was very proud of that but as time went by he began to suffer from stress and I think he retired because of it. Never met Ernest Jessup I'm afraid so I can't shed any light on him One incident I do remember was one of our practical sessions had to be cancelled at short noticed and we were sent home. Apparently the college had just bought a new batch of oscilloscopes but they worked on both British and American voltages and somebody at the end of an earlier session had switched them over to the American system, so when they were next switched on many of them blew up before it was realised what had happened and there was a panic on to repair them as quickly as possible and modify them so it couldn't happen again Roll eyes
Schools and Education - Coventry Technical College
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
62 of 68  Mon 21st Nov 2016 2:23pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:399

Back in the early 80s, when the IBM (no clones then!) PC was the latest must-have, two of them were ordered and delivered to the uni at great cost. Without checking, a keen academic plugged one in and switched on, with a loud bang, flash and smoke from the power supply. They'd been shipped from the USA, and the switch on the side was set to 120V. After that, my solution for any similar piece of equipment was to set the switch to 230V (invariably a slide switch), then run in some glue to stop anyone altering the setting. Nowadays, of course, most stuff will run on anything from 85V to 300V or similar.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
63 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 8:24am  

NeilsYard said (on another thread): ...from before the Technical College went up (1935?).
My father was born in 1915, and left school to do a six year apprenticeship at Herberts. He always gave me to understand that he spent his time at CTC in the Butts. That would imply that the college was in operation in 1930.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
64 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 8:55am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4817

This from Wikipedia may help Thumbs up
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
65 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 9:34am  

It sounds like it moved, so my father must have done his final year there. Never knew that.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
66 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 11:57am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1133

My dad was born in 1916. After working as a van boy with the Co-op he went to Alfred Herbert's and then to the Winfray Tool Company in the Butts and then to the Gauge and Tool. He could well have met your dad, Slim!
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
67 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 1:35pm  

Hi Anne Very likely; my dad spent his last year in the drawing office, he won the Coventry scholarship prize, then went into designing machine tools. He moved from Herbert's to the Gauge, then when war broke out was promoted to Chief Designer - a priority job as the country needed machines to make armaments. Needless to say, that put a few noses out of joint, being Chief Designer whilst still under the age of 30! One of the relics I inherited is a memo from senior management of the Gauge of that era about tea breaks in the morning and afternoon. It talks about the new arrangements, whereby Mrs. Someenglishname was responsible for serving the morning tea, and how it should "enable the new scheme to work efficiently if staff refrained from making inappropriate or offensive remarks in her presence". It goes on to state that the afternoon tea duties would be "carried out by the office boy"! I shudder to think what would happen to me today if I were to refer to anyone at work as the office boy! That internal memo is priceless. I have it filed somewhere, and when I find it, I'll scan it in and publish. I recall that everyone had to sign it once they'd read it.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
68 of 68  Wed 23rd Nov 2016 3:07pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1133

Yes Slim, and then the office boy was probably anything between the age of 14 and 65, but the name would be accepted. When I started work at the EMEB there were many lowly jobs given to the new starters especially fetching the tea and coffee twice a day. ( A big tray full for the whole department, trouble was you couldn't tell the tea from the coffee). Your dad could well come across quite a few of my relatives at the Gauge. My dad was there but he was sent to the Jaguar Browns Lane Shadow factory during the war although he was still working for the Gauge. He met my Mum there in 1945. Also my nan met and married my step grandad Eric Wilson through my mum. He worked there a long time and was a very good engineer. His dad also worked there and I believe he had a lot to do with the union. Eric eventually went to work at the Coventry Gauge factory in Poole. I don't know what he did but when they came up to Coventry he used to go to a place to buy industrial diamonds

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 68 of 68 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Windmill Road School
|

Next (newer) topic

Old Grammar School
You are viewing topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 119ms)