No actionNo action
307 posts:
Order:    

flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
301 of 307  Sat 21st Jan 2017 5:13pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:825

The proposed block looks good, and has been aligned at an angle. Far better than the previous proposal for this site.
Friargate development
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
302 of 307  Wed 8th Mar 2017 4:19pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1545

Just been announced that RICS has pulled out of moving to Friargate, leaving the City Council the only tenants at the new development! Oh my
Friargate development
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
303 of 307  Wed 8th Mar 2017 7:31pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4407

Telegraph report Council response Oh my
Friargate development
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
304 of 307  Wed 8th Mar 2017 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1521

How very Coventry City Council.
Friargate development
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
305 of 307  Sun 12th Mar 2017 10:34am  

On 24th Sep 2016 9:46pm, pixrobin said: Pictured today we can see further development
Update on pixrobin's photos Thumbs up
Friargate development
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
306 of 307  Wed 28th Jun 2017 6:52pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1545

Back in post number one of this topic, my late wife asked a question. She would have been thrilled at my post today:- This afternoon I was privileged to witness the first step in the process of getting Trigger (the horse from the Central Six junction of the ring road) restored and back on public display. Trigger was created by local artist; Simon Evans - who sadly has since passed away. Simon studied locally in Coventry and this was his legacy to the city. Trigger had been removed from the J6 island prior at the start of the Friargate development just over three years ago and has sat in a box, in storage, ever since. It was first thought that Trigger would never see the light of day again after extensive corrosion was found in Triggers body - but thanks to the original sculptor's best friend; Andy Langley (who is also a local artist and metal fabricator) offering to rebuild him whilst donating all labour free-of-charge, Trigger will now be fully restored and hopefully back on public display within a couple of months. Following a recent public request to “Find Trigger”, Vic Minnett, presenter of the mid-morning show on BBC-CW was contacted and her team discovered, by pure coincidence, it had been arranged for Trigger to be transported just yesterday (27th June) from its City Council storage facility to a workshop in a remote part of the Warwickshire countryside - and today was the great “opening of the box”. We stood waiting for the crew to assemble and a large fork-lift truck to be readied. A tense few moments followed which weren’t helped by someone's idea of a joke fixing a “This Way Up” sign UPSIDE DOWN to the side of the box. Screws were hurriedly removed, crow-bars wielded, and with the help of the fork-lift the whole side of the box lowered slowly to the ground. I must admit I had a nervous fear that the box might be empty! Thankfully my fears were quickly allayed. The first thing that struck me was his (its) shear size. Far bigger than I ever imagined - a huge rearing stallion, which seemed to be almost fighting against its imprisonment in the box. This will be no small job, as large pieces of the structure will need to be cut away, new parts fabricated using the old pieces as templates, then rebuilt almost from the ground up. A new removable panel will need to be added to facilitate the addition of extra internal strengthening before finally being sent off to the painters for any old black paint (a previous attempt at covering up the signs of corrosion that was taking hold) to be removed, then new multi-coat protection added. Finally, once all this has been achieved, it will then be returned to public display. The original intention was for it to stand on Greyfriars Green, now with a recommendation to be placed on some sort of high plinth so as to deter (and hopefully prevent) the climbers that we sometimes see on the Godiva statue in Broadgate. I understand planning permission has yet to be approved although I sincerely trust that after all this effort, that will simply be a formality and Trigger will be back on outside display for the public to enjoy.
Friargate development
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
307 of 307  Wed 28th Jun 2017 7:01pm  

Thanks for that comprehensive - and encouraging - report, Tony Thumbs up
Friargate development

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 301 to 307 of 307 posts

Page 21 of 21

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 . 17 18 19 20 21
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hillsborough
|

Next (newer) topic

Riley Cars
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 96ms)