No actionNo action
255 posts:
Order:    

Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
241 of 255  Thu 12th Dec 2019 11:45am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1231

Not the King, Kaga, he is not accompanied by the Mayor, or dignitary, but a woman carrying a basket. He would not be wandering around on his own.
Little Park Street
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
242 of 255  Thu 12th Dec 2019 2:21pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1509

Does this help?
Little Park Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
243 of 255  Thu 12th Dec 2019 4:44pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1830

The picture below is the visit from the king. Not a dissimilar group.
Little Park Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
244 of 255  Fri 13th Dec 2019 11:13am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3322

Yes, Rob, thank you. Had I had that clearer version then I would not have posted 239 - the picture says the following day, but it was the second day, Saturday.
Little Park Street
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
245 of 255  Fri 13th Dec 2019 2:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1642

Depends how you look at it Kaga. The bombing started on the evening of Thursday 14th, but went on into Friday morning. To the press the Saturday would be the next day.
Little Park Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
246 of 255  Fri 13th Dec 2019 4:29pm  

Annewiggy I know, I was there, and yes, that particular shot was the next day, by time, for that particular area was not hit till the early hours of Friday morning. I just wish I could look at back papers of that time. There is something else that people of today do not know about the visit. I tried to find out in the fifties but was politely warned off by the police as a troublemaker. I had no real proof so forgot it. Question for you - how many of those dignitaries that were telling the King what happened were actually in the raid that night, were in the town? And who was missing that should have met him? I don't know, and I've opened my big mouth again. Buckingham Palace was hit eight times during the raids so the King wasn't a stranger to the bombing.
Little Park Street
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
247 of 255  Fri 13th Dec 2019 5:22pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1642

If you want to look at old newspapers Kaga this is the best site, www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. It is a subscription site but you can just subscribe for a month. I have been using it for about 8 years and am still finding it fascinating.
Little Park Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
248 of 255  Tue 14th Jan 2020 9:34am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2506

Helen - it’s the clarity in some of the detail in the newly released Historic England images that is getting me Big grin We have seen this one before - some must have made their way out of the collection previously but just look at the detail. Court 16 LPS - note the hanging baskets and the P&M Brewery on Much Park Street behind! (c) Historic England
Little Park Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
249 of 255  Tue 14th Jan 2020 9:38am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2506

And next-door! To the left and north of the above - Court 17! That washing will be fine there - making the best of what they had Thumbs up Court 17 appears to have been set back further east more towards MPS Edited by member, 14th Jan 2020 9:39 am
Little Park Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
250 of 255  Tue 14th Jan 2020 10:49am  

Yes, and the stirrup pump still hangs on the wall, should he still come back.
Little Park Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
251 of 255  Tue 14th Jan 2020 11:26am  

NeilsYard. You say it's the clarity in some of the detail, but would I be wrong in saying they're only about twenty/thirty years old, those old court houses?
Little Park Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
252 of 255  Tue 14th Jan 2020 1:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1830

Kaga, the photos are post war, maybe the 50s, whether to record the damage or more probably to capture the buildings before demolition. Care was obviously taken to get good shots as it was to be a record for posterity. The date of the buildings is hard to know but they were there in 1850. Court 17 was called Queens Court and there was another row of houses against the wall with the pump running, back towards LPS. The open doorway at the end isn't someone's front door, it's a passage to another court with more houses that in turn had a passageway to a final pair of houses and the boundary wall with the brewery (or a fancy house as it was then). Edited by member, 14th Jan 2020 2:05 pm
Little Park Street
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
253 of 255  Wed 15th Jan 2020 3:40pm  

Helen F. I was thinking of what Neil had said, that washing will be fine there, making the best of what they had. Well, they had fun and laughter, tears and heartaches, all etched into those walls. A pair of houses, just two up and two down, the stairs probably on the inside of the outside wall, two steps up, then sharp right or left to a centre landing and wall, making the front bedroom tiny and the back room a larger room. In my father’s house in 1903 onwards, the back room was shared by five girls and six boys. As they grew up, can you imagine, a boy gets toothache - “ouch” - they lived and grew up with each other’s pain. Downstairs, a central chimney, the fireplace back to back in each house. Back room was kitchen, washroom, pantry; front room was dining room, playroom, and fireplace - warm room. Outside there would be toilets, wash houses etc, and kids. Can you imagine the rejoicing from a family like that at his return from the First World War?
Little Park Street
Helen F
254 of 255  Wed 15th Jan 2020 4:56pm  
Off-topic / chat  

Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
255 of 255  Wed 15th Jan 2020 7:54pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:592

Helen said: My Mum came from a very poor family (my grandfather drank his way through my grandmother's inheritance of a pub and then ran off with the barmaid). She knew how important it was to get pleasure in the smallest things, from spring leaves to a good stew. Hearing about the lives of people older than me or in other countries, convinces me that I am very, very lucky. Even the Baby Boomer generation had it worse (although the Millennials don't believe it). The babies and kids in those, soon to be demolished, houses were Boomers. At the same time I know that people can be happy with very little, it's a matter of perspective. The curse of the 21st century is knowledge of what other people have got, whether it's money or looks. For many it is a measure of how far they are from the top, not how far they are from the bottom.
Absolutely. One of the downsides of modern technology, e.g. mobile phones and Facebook. People can advertise to the world an image of well off they are, how well they are doing, photoshop pictures of themselves to look like models, etc. I find that rather sad.
Little Park Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 241 to 255 of 255 posts

Page 17 of 17

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .. 13 14 15 16 17
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Gosford Street
|

Next (newer) topic

All Saints School, Vecqueray Street