No actionNo action
277 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
271 of 277  Wed 10th Jun 2020 4:25pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2331

Kirby House and the Bird family are discussed along with the possible architect. Some may be reminded of my search for the location of Mr Wright's house. I don't think that it was built for the third Bird brother but I'm guessing they shared an architect. Great picture of number 7 LPS and the buildings either side.
Local History and Heritage - Little Park Street
Sylvia Lerigo
Northampton
All posts by this member
272 of 277  Thu 25th Jun 2020 4:40pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2020  Total posts:1

Hi, I'm researching 94 Little Park Street. I lived there from 1946 to 1953. I'm writing a book for my grandchildren, I have a photo taken outside the house. I know the courtyard we played as kids (down an archway that led to a wooden building) looks like the picture you've shown. The buildings inside this area were converted to living accommodation, however, the only people I can recall, name wise, is Mrs and Mrs Docker (I can see them now) with their only child Lillian (our playmate, died on her honeymoon aged 21). The photo you show of 20 Little Park Street is familiar. I'd love more info about 94 Little Park Street and the bombed-out basements of largish houses. I'd be grateful for any info. Thanks Sylvia

Question

C.S.Lerigo

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
273 of 277  Thu 25th Jun 2020 5:52pm  

Hi Sylvia, welcome to the forum. Wave You probably know more than we do, though someone might be able to add something. I've only got a front view of 94 or those from Britain From Above. The building next door to the right was called the Little Palace Yard (with wooden building plonked in the garden). As a starter I'll post a few BFA links. Halfway down, right side (log in to zoom) Top half. centre. Forum library image
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
274 of 277  Fri 26th Jun 2020 11:00am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2692

Hi Sylvia - look back through this thread and you'll see some great info and photos. My grandfather’s brother lived in Little Palace Yard (Court 20) just down from there. Wave Ray and Wyn Yardley who lived at number 7. PS. Would love to see that photo?! Rosemary on here (Member coventry49) is kind of related as Wyn was her aunt. Edited by member, 26th Jun 2020 2:18 pm
coventry49
Budleigh Salterton, Devon
All posts by this member
275 of 277  Mon 27th Jul 2020 7:21pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:194

Hi Sylvia The name Linda (not Lillian) Docker rings a bell for me in relation to Little Palace Yard. My grandmother (Smith) lived there & my Aunt Win & Uncle Ray Yardley next door. I spent a lot of time down there visiting them. The wooden building you mentioned was Bushills at the end of the yard beyond the stables. I think the Dockers lived near the entrance to the Yard from Little Park Street, maybe next to my grandmother. Rosemary
garymay
Norfolk
All posts by this member
276 of 277  Wed 26th Aug 2020 3:38pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2020  Total posts:2

My grandad, Jack Wheatley, kept the Chequers pub in Little Park Street during the war. Mum, Jean May, told the story of the night they were bombed out in the Blitz and she and her sister Betty (Dalton) then walked to Longford to stay with other members of the family in wellies and their pyjamas. Little else survived. Grandad also kept the Samson & Lion in Swanswell Terrace around this time. Post moved from topic Little Palace Yard on 26th Aug 2020 4:09 pm Post copied from topic Coventry Pubs on 26th Aug 2020 4:19 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
277 of 277  Wed 26th Aug 2020 4:28pm  

There's a book you may have read. Provided here in PDF form by our host Rob A Night in Little Park Street by J B Shelton A little further south than the Chequers and on the other side of the road.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 271 to 277 of 277 posts

Page 19 of 19

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Archives
|

Next (newer) topic

Old coaching roads