Next pageNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

Minkle32
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 8:37pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2016  Total posts:4

Evening all I'm a massive fan of the Assassins Creed gaming series and have decided to write my own story based in Coventry. A lot of the story will be set in World War 2 times but with brief pop backs to pre-WW2. What major landmarks/people/events would you use that were around during WW2? So far I have: Coventry major landmarks Coventry cathedral New cathedral (Built 1962) Cathedral ruins (St Michaels) Lady Godiva statue Lady Godiva clock St Mary's guildhall Coombe Abbey Ford's Hospital Coventry historical people Lady Godiva Frank Whittle Rita Gambrill (just so you know, this is my nan who I'm going to include in this story) Coventry major events Lady Godiva naked ride World War 2 bombing If you can think of anyone/thing to add or if you have any information on these I would be very grateful
Making a computer game based around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 9:00pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5663

If your nan's going to be in it, shouldn't there be one or two Bees riders? Wink
Minkle32
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 9:58pm  

Technically yes as she was a big Bees fan but she didn't move to Coventry until 1958 which may be late for my story but I may try and include the speedway in it. Slightly curious, how did you know my nan was connected to speedway?

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 10:11pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5663

I think most Bees fans from 60s onwards would recognise her name! Thumbs up
Minkle32
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 10:14pm  

She was a major Bees fan and glad to know she was famous at the stadium! I will definitely include some post war Bees riders
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
6 of 20  Fri 30th Dec 2016 11:40pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2331

Hi Minkle32 You're not alone trying to capture Coventry in 3D. There are a number of projects on the go, though I don't know whether anyone else is planning a game right now. For information, your first port of call might be Rob's excellent history blog connected to the forum. After that there are a great many books about the place, some of them online, many others can be borrowed or bought for a few pence plus postage. Pre war Coventry was chock full of landmarks but those in Godiva's time would have been very different as her husband died just before William the Conqueror's invasion. I know it's a great story but she probably didn't ride in the buff. They were very pious people. She and her husband Leofric gave half of the city to the various monasteries. There are images of a few buildings that might date back as far as 1066 but I'm not sure which. The original Pilgrim's Rest maybe? Coventry didn't really get going for another few hundred years, when it became the city that we might recognise from the pre war photos. At it's height it was something like the third biggest city in the country but by the 1500s it was already in decline, in wealth, success and population. It sort of froze in time until about 1850 when factories started springing up in amongst the old houses. Those factories were then often converted for weapons manufacture which is why it was such a target for Hitler. While there are key figures in Coventry's past, most of them were fleeting visitors, often staying to see the mystery plays. Various royalty were either fond of Coventry or at odds with it. eg Coventry was the only city to be unable or unwilling to pay Henry VIII to retain its cathedral (St Mary's) and it refused entry to a fleeing Charles II so when he returned to power he had the wall knocked down. Another member of the royalty in the Georgian eras complained about the narrow gateways and roads, so several of the most impressive gates were demolished. Although that might have been the excuse since knocking Coventry down seems to be a disease that regularly strikes the city planners.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 5:04am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3576

Morning to you Helen, You are so informative with you history notes for us so thank you for your latest post. Right as far back as I can remember I was told Coventry (can't spell the old name) was a notorious stop over for horseback riders in 'the olden days', just for a swig of water or ale. After that obviously word got around. HAVE A GREAT NEW YEAR and 2017 Helen. x I am looking forward to more, more, more. Cheers
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 5:19am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:336

I'm another one who remembers Rita Gambrill, Minkle! If I remember rightly, she organized a lot of the Bees coaches to away meetings?
True Blue Coventry Kid

pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
9 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 9:19am  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1137

I'm sure there must be a role for Peeping Tom somewhere in the game-play Wink
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
10 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 9:58am  

Thanks Dreamtime Big grin but the real thanks has to go to those who wrote or compiled the histories. I’m no historian and am only belatedly reading up on Coventry’s doings for the same reason Minkle32 is enquiring. As I try to work out what the city looked like, I had to pick a year or decade to base it in. The logical date to me was just before the wall came down – about 1650 – when as much of the recorded city was present but the wall was still there. It puts me at the Civil War era when the ditch was re-cut, the wall repaired and the roads leading to the gates striped of some of the old buildings that were recorded on the John Speed 1610 map. No artist captured them so any attempt to add them would be purely guesswork. Areas like New Street and New Buildings were added to house those who lost their homes in the ground clearances. Having picked a date I’ve had to start reading to find out when stuff came and went eg I know the archways had wicket gates (a pedestrian door within a big set of wooden doors filling the whole arch) but did they also have portcullises and/or drawbridges? They’d gone by the time anyone captured images of the gates but all the signs are there that they’d once had them. I know that Crow Lane had a bridge that could be raised and was lifted at night during that era. More clear are some of the building features eg glass windows were probably in all but the poorest of buildings by 1650 whereas 100 years earlier it would have been much rarer. It means that most of my buildings can have glass in varying quality but I can still add a few with the medieval features of struts and interior shutters. Even working out what the window tracery in the churches looked like isn’t as straightforward as you’d think because they often changed when they needed repairing. In modelling terms, it’s easier because there was less variety in the windows in 1650 than there was just before WWII. Ultimately all the city reconstructions will have to take massive artistic license but there’s a lot of information out there to help colour in the details.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
11 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 10:12am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1789

Minckle32. If you are basing it around the period of WW2 and before I think you might need to include some of the large factories that were based in and around the city.
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
12 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 10:15am  

While Godiva probably kept her clothes on, there's been no shortage of scantily clad ladies pretending to be her over the years. Unofficial rides might have included a few in the altogether, but the sanctioned ones were robust ladies in wigs and nude suits. I'd bet that some of the old guys losing their sight, swore it was because they'd peeked at the ghost of Godiva.
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
13 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 11:41am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:458

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that if you are setting the game in the WW2 period, assuming you want some historical accuracy, then neither the Godiva statue nor Godiva clock would feature. The term 'new cathedral' up to that time would have referred to St Michael's which gained cathedral status only in 1918, we still refer to the current cathedral as new even though it has been such far longer.
Minkle32
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 2:12pm  

Cheers for all the help, I will look into some of the information and hopefully get it correct. I may post sections of the story on here and people can check the accuracy
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 20  Sat 31st Dec 2016 5:37pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:889

The Godiva ride is a myth. It's not even certain Godiva or Leofric ever visited Coventry. Providing the funds to set up a Benedictine Abbey was more like a political act.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hitchens Row, Cross Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Power Pak Mo-ped - information wanted