No actionNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 18  Thu 5th Jan 2017 9:45am  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:488

If I can throw my twopenneth in as someone who didn’t come to Coventry until the early 70’s. I have always been amused by the strong feelings this discussion causes. I first knew it as the West Midlands although the postcodes are confusing due to the CV code extending well into Warwickshire. As mentioned earlier all that is needed to deliver anything to the correct address is the house number and postcode (it’s how most online forms work) so from that point of view the county becomes irrelevant. However I must admit the pedant in me still insists on putting Cheylesmore as part of the address Smile
News, Media and Current Affairs - Warwickshire or West Midlands?
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
17 of 18  Thu 5th Jan 2017 8:49pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:428

On 5th Jan 2017 12:00am, MisterD-Di said: Why on earth should we swear allegiance to any person, least of all someone who we have never elected? Roll eyes
I'm with you - I swear allegiance to no-one, even the country, as undoubtedly some of the things it stands for and supports I do not, whereas it's highly likely an 'enemy' of the nation will also have elements that I think are worthwhile. My point was if you are someone who does feel they can/should swear allegiance to someone, I just wondered why they decided the Queen was acceptable but being an EU citizen was not? For the time being we ARE EU citizens and have been for decades. The only difference is the length of time each has existed for. As for the WMCA, I think it has elements that would be good for the region. However, I do firmly believe that those in Birmingham have every intention of treating it as a means of expanding their own 'name' and intend to slowly bring 'Greater Birmingham' into general usage. As you say, the only metropolitan area given a city name was Manchester and look at the growth they've experienced in that time. There are other factors such as the exposure of the city due to the football team(s) (though mainly the rise of Man U) and as unfortunate as it was the massive amount of redevelopment that got kickstarted after the terrible bombing. Birmingham have always noted that and the inroads Manchester have made on their 'second city' status. They want in on the action and that means a Greater Birmingham. I'm not sure I've ever been a fan of the WM name, and for the new CA I thought Arden could be acceptable. The (really) old area known as Arden was extensive and covered much of the CA area, it gives an impression of greenery rather than a sprawling urban wasteland and also allows you to tap into the Shakespeare name for PR reasons, as it is undoubtedly the most recognisable name from the region.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
18 of 18  Thu 5th Jan 2017 8:53pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:148

When I bought my house in Coventry in the late 1980's I had West Midlands Gas and East Midlands Electricity (you didn't have a choice in those days). Labels only mean what you want them to mean (BT Advert). Peter.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 18 of 18 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Christmas / New Year Memories
|

Next (newer) topic

Armed Forces Day
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

This is your first visit to my website today, thank you!

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2018

Load time: 183ms