Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
6 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red

All posts by this member
1 of 6  Fri 17th Feb 2017 10:38am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4153

Recently journeyed to Norway, in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) Well, it didn't quite go according to plan Nothing was seen during the nights spent on land - indeed, some travellers spent an awful lot of money on night-time excursions into the wilderness hoping to experience them, without much success! However, there was an alert one night on board ship that they had been spotted So, with camera on tripod, release cable in place, settings as previously advised, I ventured out to take a look NOTHING TO BE SEEN! I was aware of greyish "clouds" in the night sky as the ship endeavoured to make up time lost due to gales (up to Force 11!) earlier Anyway, having set up, I clicked away - and found that, although the naked eye saw nothing, the camera picked up the aurora GREAT! Only drawback was that we were moving and the stars and distant shore lights reflected this movement on long exposure shots I cut back exposure to 6 seconds, but this sadly led to a lot of noise On our return, Rob asked me to post some photos onto the forum for members to view I have selected three images - they're pretty awful in terms of quality, but they do give some idea of what the aurora was like (to the camera, anyway!) I'm sad that I don't have better images, but pleased that I do have a record of something I'd not experienced before - and won't ever again
Northern Lights
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 6  Fri 17th Feb 2017 11:19am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:225

I remember seeing quite a vivid display from Coventry as a child. This would be about 1936. Perhaps Kaga also remembers it.
Northern Lights
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
3 of 6  Sat 18th Feb 2017 10:54pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:111

Midland Red - fantastic! - you are one of the favoured few to have captured these unbelievable phenomena on film. Thank you for sharing these wonderful images. I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights and who knows? One day.....
Northern Lights
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
4 of 6  Sun 19th Feb 2017 10:34am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:287

I've seen them a few times up here but more blue and red in colour shooting across the sky. In fact we are not that far from Pennan which was used as a location in most of the film 'Local Hero' shot in 1984, which features the Northern Lights (Burt Lancaster starred). A pub we sometimes use locally interior was used. Another film shot in the region a couple of years ago was the re-make of 'Whisky Galore' and everyone had their aerials and satellite dishes removed and replaced with new but I digress again!
Northern Lights
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
5 of 6  Sun 19th Feb 2017 3:33pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:662

Although it's not a hard and fast rule, the northern lights are affected by sunspot activity. We are likely to have a long period of very low activity for at least the next 20 years so seeing them will be harder than ever.
Northern Lights
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
6 of 6  Tue 21st Feb 2017 5:24pm  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Dissenters burying ground, Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Little Palace Yard
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 61ms)