No actionNo action
3 posts:
Order:    

PaulOBrien3592
Bath, United Kingdom
All posts by this member
1 of 3  Tue 7th Mar 2017 1:42pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2017  Total posts:1

Hello everybody, I'm a history student with some years experience in 3D graphic design. I'm currently in the planning stages of making a reconstruction of the original city centre of medieval Coventry. Obviously little imagery exists of this period, so I'm mostly relying on written sources and previous archaeological finds to shape the city. I've picked circa 1200 as the year of reconstruction as St. Mary's priory was still in use at this point, and as was the Coventry castle (of which I don't think there has been any previous reconstruction). I'm quite excited about the project and will be posting my progress here in the future. If anybody wants to help in regards to research, I would openly welcome it. I'm currently trying to work out boundaries for the castle bailey, and later castle ditch, and how Caesar's tower, now part of the guildhall, fits into this configuration. Hopefully I'll get some progress pics posted in the next few days and I can start bringing it back to life. Cheers, Paul
Reconstructing Medieval Coventry
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
2 of 3  Tue 7th Mar 2017 2:50pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1051

Hi, sounds very interesting. I'm trying the same thing for 1650 and there's another project going for the late 1800s Thumbs up I've often wondered about the exact location of the motte and bailey and would be interested to see how the tower base found near Derby Lane fitted in. I keep getting snippets of information - eg that St Michael's tower might have been built on the in-filled ditch - but not enough to make sense. Some of the ditches seem to show up on the 1850 map - eg the Hyrsum ditch cutting through Little Park Street and Much Park Street, though I don't know where the archaeology found parts of it. Good luck. Big grin
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 3  Tue 7th Mar 2017 5:12pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1326

A very interesting sounding project indeed! Thumbs up In about two weeks' time the Guildhall will reopen to the public again (Sunday to Thursday, 10am - 4pm), and I strongly recommend that you visit and speak to David McGrory there, who has some firm ideas and knows of much evidence for certain parts of the castle and ditch. I think you can learn a lot from such a visit, as well as being a great place to see anyway.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry from the air
|

Next (newer) topic

Motor Industry in Coventry
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category