No actionNo action
9 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 9  Sat 14th Jan 2012 5:29pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2918

Coventry being Coventry there must be numerous souvenirs saved by members of this forum, especially from the war years. My husband reminded me about the heavy garden lawn roller which landed in their back garden one evening during the blitz. Even to this day they did not find out from where it came or belonged to in his neighbourhood. I remember it well leaning up the garden shed, rusty old thing it was and never got to be used. Would not have liked being under that when it landed!! Oh my
Souvenirs
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 9  Sat 14th Jan 2012 10:38pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:261

The only thing I have in my possession from the war years Dreamtime, is the wristband the nurses put on me when I was born in Keresley hospital. My mum gave birth to me in 1943 (giving my age away here!), my dad always carried the linen band which was handwritten with my name on it in his wallet, after he passed away it came to me. Strange to think such a tiny band once fitted around my wrist. Smile Wave
Souvenirs
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 9  Sun 15th Jan 2012 3:23am  

That is so nice Mayjan, will you pass it down? That is a 'girlie thing' isn't it and I don't think the males would think of that today, but probably their mothers might, They have scrapbooks and treasure boxes now but to have a wristband from years ago is quite unique. Happy
Souvenirs
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 9:20am  

Hi Dreamtime, yes I will be passing the band on to my daughter and as she has a daughter, no doubt she will do the same. I think it was the fact that my dad having carried it in his wallet all of those years that made it so special to me. He also had in his wallet the most horrendous photo of me, I have my national health specs on and it really wasn't a very attractive picture, but he would take it out and show it to everyone that had time to take a look, much to my embarrassment. Wave
Souvenirs
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 10:20am  

Well Mayjan, I can honestly say I am definitely not photogenic. I reckon a photo can speak a thousand words and my parents' camera was not of the best quality. However, I take lots of the family as I always want something to fall back on when my memory fails me. Also, our little dog is the most photographed dog on the planet and is most obliging I am happy to say. So I think photographs will always be among our souvenirs. I also think grandchildren make up very happy memories too don't you? My daughter has a pair of knitted baby bootees knitted by her grandmother and they have buttons on nearly a hundred years old which came out her old button box. Have a good sort out Mayjan and see what else you can find. Wave Happy
Souvenirs
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 10:31am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3887

Hi to you. Wave I am intruding into girly chat, please forgive me, but I had NHS specs too. They were uncomfortable with a metal wire band hooked arounds ears. My Pam has a b&w pick of me (age seven) where I am looking like a rival to the 'Milky Bar Kid'. I suppose that's Pam's souvenir of me. Why on earth she has that, well!!! I love to read your real life threads, both of you. You ladies have a much more in depth value of things that matter in life, particularly your growing up days. Whilst I, like most boys, was in or out playing, you were learning the ropes of being ladies. Quite a difference. Wave Best wishes.
Souvenirs
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 10:36am  

Yes, but Philip, you have OUR stations to maintain and think what a great souvenir that will be in the future. Wave
Souvenirs
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 3:39pm  

Ah Philip you are very welcome to join in our girly chat! Yes those NHS glasses were very uncomfortable. I was born with a squint and used to have to wear a patch over one of my lenses for quite a few years. I also had to go regularly to Gulson Rd Hospital and have various tests and drops in my eyes. Eventually after surgery at Bramcote Hospital and to my relief, I was allowed to stop wearing my specs! As Dreamtime said what a great souvenir you will leave, in your magnificent railway. Best wishes, Jan. Thumbs up Wave
Souvenirs
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 9  Mon 16th Jan 2012 6:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3887

I had to wear a patch too. Mr.Grove was the eye test man that I remember. Wave
Souvenirs

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Maureen Brown
|

Next (newer) topic

Older people in Coventry
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 238ms)