1 2
No actionNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red

All posts by this member
16 of 18  Fri 31st Mar 2017 6:45pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4272

My first car was a Hillman Imp DL from Coventry Garage, Lower Holyhead Road in 1967 (F reg) - from memory it cost around £625 on the road - that would be around £11,000 today Oh my
My First Car
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 18  Fri 31st Mar 2017 6:51pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1528

My first car was an Austin 1100. My grandad bought it new on the employee scheme whilst at Canley under BL. My mum then had it and then me (although not for too long as I wanted something a bit sportier!) It was really reliable though and the hydro-elastic suspension was super-comfy until some daft kid rode in to the back of it whilst I was stationary in Spon End and wrote it off - it wasn't actually that badly damaged but was only worth a few quid by then. Still it lived on - My mum couldn't bear scrapping it as my grandad had passed away by then so it was donated to Cardinal Newman school where our next door neighbour and my auntie worked and my cousins were at. They used the engine in the workshop to teach mechanics and chopped the roof off and sprayed the car pink to be in the school production play of 'Grease!' Big grin Edited by member, 31st Mar 2017 6:51 pm
My First Car
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
18 of 18  Thu 6th Apr 2017 5:05pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1567

I never drove but my wife passed her test and we bought an old Austin Mini van for 50 quid, well we put mattresses in the back for the kids, came up to Coventry in it a couple of times a year for a few years. One Sunday it had been drizzling with rain so we decided to leave Coventry earlier than usual because of bad visibilty and the rain. By the time we got to Banbury it was lashing it down, we were approaching Henley and the windscreen wipers gave up, so we pulled into a garage carport, bought a ball of string, tied the wipers with a piece of string through the driver's window and the passenger's window, and I sat half on my passenger seat and half on the gear box pulling the wipers with the two bits of string through the windows. By the time we hit Bracknell my arms and shoulders were on fire, at Bracknell we had to pull in to shelter for me to re-fix the string, we carried on. It was still bouncing up off the road, the gutters were in torrents, we passed through The Downs and hit the outskirts of Brighton and the rain stopped. My wife shreiked and swore. When we finally stopped in our yard, my wife broke down in tears, the kids were crying and me, well I just wanted to push the van off the end of the pier.
My First Car

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 18 of 18 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Dance Halls and Studios
|

Next (newer) topic

Jack Major - Music fame
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)