No actionNo action
205 posts:
Order:    

Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
196 of 205  Tue 28th Feb 2017 3:38pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:161

A sketch of the Locarno (initialled A.J.W.?) from the Coventry Standard Newspaper - 9/ DEC/ 1965. Edited by member, 28th Feb 2017 3:38 pm
Coventry Dance Halls and Studios
RLCherrington
London
All posts by this member
197 of 205  Tue 4th Apr 2017 3:37pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:49

Hi there! I heard that live version of My Ding a Ling was recorded at the Locarno not the Lanch. I wonder which is correct? Any evidence either way folks? Be good to hear!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
198 of 205  Tue 4th Apr 2017 4:09pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4469

I believe it was recorded at the Locarno for the Lanchester Arts Festival
On 16th Feb 2014 5:55pm, MisterD-Di said: . . . Chuck Berry's 'My Ding-a-ling' . . . It was definitely recorded at the Locarno in front of a live audience, who all joined in. Many Coventrians can claim to have been on that record! Cheers
This probably explains the confusion Thumbs up
RLCherrington
London
All posts by this member
199 of 205  Wed 5th Apr 2017 2:51pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:49

Yes, it was at the Locarno as I originally thought but part of the Lanchester Arts Festival as Midland Red writes. It does indeed explain the confusion Midland Red! Loads of good bands played for that Festival. And of course at the Locarno. Not much like that going on now eh!
pageb45
Goderich, Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
200 of 205  Fri 19th May 2017 8:25pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:30

As yet, nobody has mentioned the Mercia School of Dancing that was located on the top floor of New Buildings. The school was run by Hetty Armstrong, who taught both ballroom and Latin American dance routines. It was popular with young men and women, and I made many friends there. I'm still in touch with my old dance partner, Gail Radford, née Lydster. Are there any other correspondents who attended the school between 1967 and 1973?
Billybobs
South Warwickshire
All posts by this member
201 of 205  Wed 24th May 2017 9:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:19

Another dance school that I do not believe has been mentioned. I cannot remember it's name, it was located at the Greyfriars Green end of Queen Victoria Rd in one of the large houses that were located there. My grey matter seems to bring back memories of the army recruiting office nearby, may have been in the same building. I was around 13, 1959/60. My parents were keen that I learnt the basics of ballroom. My memory of the teacher, was a short lady, dressed very smart, to a 13 yr old, she was of advanced years, but above all her perfume was overpowering and very strict. I didn't do it for very long, at the time I could not see the point, but a few years later I did. This experience was followed by another at the Balalaika studios in the lower precinct with Janet Ball, but more about that later when I have more time
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
202 of 205  Thu 25th May 2017 10:51am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:314

On 24th May 2017 9:29pm, Billybobs said: Another dance school that I do not believe has been mentioned. I cannot remember it's name, it was located at the Greyfriars Green end of Queen Victoria Rd in one of the large houses that were located there.
If memory serves me correct it was 'Joan Daniels School of Dancing'. I believe that was the upper floor of the building and downstairs was a drinking den called the 'Queens Club' which was open when the pubs were shut!
Billybobs
South Warwickshire
All posts by this member
203 of 205  Thu 25th May 2017 7:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:19

Wearethemod - this is what makes this forum unique. Always somebody has an answer. Joan Daniels has stirred my old grey matter, I think you are right. Was not aware of the club below, but I suppose at 13 drinking was not on my agenda. Thanks for filling in the blanks.
gel
shropshire
All posts by this member
204 of 205  Sat 24th Jun 2017 1:08am  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:10

Yes I remember St. Finbarrs, my sister and I were sent for weekly Irish dancing lessons - so remember the smell of beer. We walked from Wyken and had a 'six'a'chips' to eat as we walked home. We also, very briefly went for Irish Dancing lessons in The Shamrock - it was too small with too many people so not much room for dancing, anyone remember it?
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
205 of 205  Sat 1st Jul 2017 5:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1735

But Coventry had some great shows in the major factories. Dancing girls, comedians, top stars of the day, all sorts of acts, singalongs, loads of fun and laughter, all free in the works canteens or wherever, mostly during lunchtime, but nevertheless great fun and morale raising, mainly put on by Ensa. Coventry people loved it. (Has this been on any topic before?)

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 205 of 205 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Riley Cars
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Poetry
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 75ms)