No actionNo action
219 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
211 of 219  Sat 10th Mar 2018 11:36am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1195

In the 60’s there used to be a dance hall in the Lanchester Poly. I saw lots of groups there, often before they were famous. Did they pull that down? Surely if they are building all this student accommodation they could do something on that lines. We did not realise how lucky we we were then, Coventry Theatre, Belgrade, Hotel Leofric, all in the town centre and a lot of pubs had discos just a short bus ride away. Yes they should have some sort of entertainment centre that could provide live entertainment.
Coventry Dance Halls and Studios
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
212 of 219  Sat 10th Mar 2018 12:37pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:378

On 27th Dec 2013 3:43pm, Beesman said: £1.00 was about the going rate to see a top band in those days. I saw The Who in 1970, the Rolling Stones and Deep Purple in 1971 all for that princely sum! Thumbs up
The Rolling Stones have announced they are to play at the Ricoh this summer. Tickets expected to be between £60 and £250. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still playing in another 47 years.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
213 of 219  Sat 10th Mar 2018 11:09pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

On 10th Mar 2018 11:36am, Annewiggy said: In the 60’s there used to be a dance hall in the Lanchester Poly. I saw lots of groups there, often before they were famous. Did they pull that down? Surely if they are building all this student accommodation they could do something on that lines. We did not realise how lucky we we were then, Coventry Theatre, Belgrade, Hotel Leofric, all in the town centre and a lot of pubs had discos just a short bus ride away. Yes they should have some sort of entertainment centre that could provide live entertainment.
The venue where the live music and disco took place was in Priory Street, towards the Pool Meadow end. It was actually the Poly's big sports hall and, as I recall, the stage was a temporary affair constructed as required when a live band was on. I remember attending a music gig there at the weekend and playing basketball on the same floor a few days later. It was redeveloped later, although I can't remember exactly when, and now seems to be Priory Hall. The Polytechnic's sports activities were moved to Coventry Sports Centre, certainly by the early 80s but probably earlier.
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
214 of 219  Sun 11th Mar 2018 4:11am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:378

The accommodation towers in Priory Street have been unused for a few years as they are unsafe and due for demolition. I presume this will include the hall used as a music venue. It seems that repair is not financially viable. Crumbling student accommodation blocks to be demolished.
ron osmond
hinckley
All posts by this member
215 of 219  Thu 29th Mar 2018 7:43am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:4

On 10th Mar 2018 11:09pm, MisterD-Di said:
On 10th Mar 2018 11:36am, Annewiggy said: In the 60’s there used to be a dance hall in the Lanchester Poly. I saw lots of groups there, often before they were famous. Did they pull that down? Surely if they are building all this student accommodation they could do something on that lines. We did not realise how lucky we we were then, Coventry Theatre, Belgrade, Hotel Leofric, all in the town centre and a lot of pubs had discos just a short bus ride away. Yes they should have some sort of entertainment centre that could provide live entertainment.
The venue where the live music and disco took place was in Priory Street, towards the Pool Meadow end. It was actually the Poly's big sports hall and, as I recall, the stage was a temporary affair constructed as required when a live band was on. I remember attending a music gig there at the weekend and playing basketball on the same floor a few days later. It was redeveloped later, although I can't remember exactly when, and now seems to be Priory Hall. The Polytechnic's sports activities were moved to Coventry Sports Centre, certainly by the early 80s but probably earlier.
The dances took place in the building that housed the Student's Union Bar (just below the current fountains area). The College allowed the various societies to organise the entire night, including booking the music, arranging security, and even presenting the bands. This was a big fund raising source for the Football society that I was in. One night's profit funded new kit for five teams. In the early days there used to be two dance floors - the main one downstairs in the big Exam Hall, and the other on the second floor refectory. In between was the Student's Union Bar on the first floor. They stopped dances being held in the refectory after the floor started to vibrate one night. When booking bands you could choose from a list, and in late 1963 The Beatles were still theoretically bookable on the list at £300. All the other bands were in double figures. Edited by member, 29th Mar 2018 8:54 am
ron osmond

coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
216 of 219  Thu 29th Mar 2018 8:36pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:171

I can remember going to 'The Lanch' quite a few times, it would have been on the lower floor as described above. This would be in the late 1960s and the only name I can recall seeing was Cat Stephens.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
217 of 219  Fri 30th Mar 2018 8:55am  

That sounds about the same era for me Coventry49, I think I saw Cat Stevens. One name that sticks in my head as well is a group called Cream. I know at that time the groups used to play songs that went on forever!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
218 of 219  Fri 30th Mar 2018 9:57am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

" . . . a group called Cream" Oh my Possibly the greatest rock band of all time (link) Wink
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
219 of 219  Fri 30th Mar 2018 10:27am  

Sorry MR, just shows how much I know about rock bands. Blush We saw so many then, at the Lanch. and the Matrix, but they were usually just another group playing so we could dance!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 211 to 219 of 219 posts

Page 15 of 15

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14 15
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Conduit Yard
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry pubs