Next pageLast page
301 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
1 of 301  Wed 28th Jan 2015 3:52pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1680

Hi all, I suppose today the word 'scam' is what we used to call con-men. And Coventry had their share back in the fifties (or do we want to hide it under the carpet) but then it was more open. Young Coventry lad I knew of slightly, was working on Victoria Station, with a chocolate and soft drinks kind of trolley. With time to spare we talked - he told me he had to get out of Coventry (police attention). While talking I noticed he was short changing everyone - when I asked him about it he told me to clear off. Later I heard he got 'hot' in London, went to Marseilles, joined the French Foreign Legion. Three days later they dumped him back in Marseilles, in a pair of torn shorts, an old vest and his passport, no money, no anything. After some years of trying, three Coventry con-men finally conned me out of a sum of money. Luckily some six months later, with the help of a young lady and a guy of authority, I did the same to them, retrieved my money and a little extra. The great days of the fifties, I was known as a 'character' and I loved every minute of it.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
2 of 301  Sat 31st Jan 2015 7:08pm  

My nickname, way back when I was a kid, a left handed person was called kaggy-handed, but at two years of age couldn't manage that, just kaga, it stuck until I was seventeen, now a family joke. And talking about my childhood down the slough, introduced as kaga on this forum, let it stay. Many a kid has hated the name they were given at school, but too young to do much about it. Now I am well past my sell-by-date, thought I would share my unusual experiences with other people. Regards Kaga.
Our Kaga
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
3 of 301  Sun 1st Feb 2015 2:29am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:460

I am amazed that you were allowed to be kaggy. It was really looked down upon at the Cov Prep school and anybody showing signs of being kaggy was beaten into submission. I hardly knew anybody who was kaggy handed or who would admit to it. In later life, I have come across many.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 301  Fri 22nd May 2015 7:37pm  

I drove a pony and trap on a milk round in 1941-3, Foleshill, Old Church Rd - Aldermans Green Rd, air raid or no air-raid, debris as well. For a short time, then the government condensed the streets we could use so customers had to have the allotted milkman they were given. Now Paul-guy can tell you of the steep slope up and onto the road I had to contend with 4/5 large churns of milk, and a pony that was slithering and sliding in the icy winter. I washed the bottles, churns, etc, carried cartons of Carnation milk etc and somewhere on this forum I told our weights and measures man I used to hate his predecessor, for if you had a Co-op bottle or any other firm's bottle you were fined and severely cautioned, and could lose your job. I fed and groomed the pony. That was part of my job from 14-half to 17-half (then forces) - it was all part of the day, and I loved it. My pony was a mare, and one day she stopped, right on the junction of Hall Green Rd / Aldermans Green Rd and Windmill Lane, for natural reasons, and nothing would budge her, a large car was held up and began to toot, to no avail, when we finally moved, the car carried the Mayor of Coventry, afraid my mare had the upper hand.
Our Kaga
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
5 of 301  Fri 22nd May 2015 9:05pm  

Like to add a little more to the above story. This little mare shared a field with two shire horses, and in 39 the Army stuck a pom-pom gun in the next field, can you imagine the horror for them, when that started to rat-a-tat at night, obviously we quickly moved them to a field as far away as we could, but there was no way you could explain a war to an animal, and I had a lot of trouble with her the few times the sirens sounded in the day, but gradually she began to like me whispering in her ear (or I thought so) until the noise stopped. When I left to join the forces, my boss kindly retired her. A very brave animal that got mixed up in man's folly.
Our Kaga
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 7:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4380

On another thread, our good friend Kaga has posted:
On 4th Jul 2016 7:11pm, Kaga simpson said: I have just spent seven days in hospital with a minor stroke, my mind is no way impaired, or my vision so thankfully can still read your posts. I should make a full recovery so more than ever look forward to your posts, please keep them coming. Thanks and regards, Kaga.
I'm sure all members will want to wish you all the best for a full and speedy recovery Thumbs up
Our Kaga
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
7 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 7:37pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:48

Hi Kaga Just to wish you all the best, and a speedy recovery. Arthur P
Our Kaga
David H
Lancashire
All posts by this member
8 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 8:27pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:111

Kaga - I always enjoy reading your very interesting posts, and look forward to many more. With all best wishes for a speedy recovery. David.
Our Kaga
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
9 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 8:28pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:384

Have a speedy recovery Kaga!
Our Kaga
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 9:22pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:263

Kaga hope you are soon fully recovered and back home xx Thumbs up Wave
Our Kaga
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
11 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 9:42pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

Hi Kaga. Always turn to your posts first! Get well soon Roger
Our Kaga
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
12 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:175

Kaga, Get well soon. I was only passing through your old haunts in Aldermans Green yesterday and thought about you. Roger
Our Kaga
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 10:20pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3075

Get well soon Kaga Wave

Our Kaga
Little Nut
France
All posts by this member
14 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 10:41pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2016  Total posts:34

AND SO SAY ALL OF US - GET VERY WELL, VERY SOON - Us Cov Kids are made of strong stuff Wave
Little Nut

Our Kaga
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
15 of 301  Mon 4th Jul 2016 11:32pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:992

Looking forward to more of your posts Kaga, so get well soon mate. pixrobin
Our Kaga

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 301 posts

Page 1 of 21

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 . 17 18 19 20 21
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Hales Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Barras Green and Alpha House
View similar topics in the Coventry People category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)