No actionNo action
14 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
1 of 14  Sun 18th Jun 2017 9:22am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3852

Please feel free to post comments to our weather topic. Even if it's just to say what it is doing where you are. Today's forecast is a bit academic for today, sun & more sun, but from tomorrow mid-day it might be more interesting. In the morning I will post a live link to my most reliable weather info source. I like sharing this one because it is suitable for mobiles & tablets. There are a range of forecast available on it, as well as rain radar, it gives amongst other forecasts, 7 days lightning, for the UK as well as Europe. If you have difficulty using it, please let me know & I will do my best to help. I am just an amateur enthusiast with very big "L" plates but it is such a fascinating subject & affects most of us. I was in Fort William once, enjoying a warm summer evening sat facing north west. I was watching a cloud forming against the hillside opposite where it was intensifying by the minute. Everywhere else it was perfect blue sky. Within about fifteen minutes, this cloud was covering the whole of that hillside, the next thing I saw lightning & everyone heard the thunder. A couple more flashes of lightning & the cloud just melted away as though nothing had happened. That impressed on me just how local weather can be. Here one minute & gone the next.
Coventry Weather Bulletins
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 14  Sun 25th Jun 2017 1:32pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:154

Thank you Philip for posting these weather updates (I've found them particularly useful this month); as I work outside keeping up to date with the weather is pretty essential. Thumbs up
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 14  Sun 25th Jun 2017 1:48pm  

Hi & thank you, Wave I try to get under what is going on, so as not to get caught up in sensationalised news headlines. Not that I understand the physics past that of an amateur enthusiast. I rely on picking up the threads of conversations between professionals alike, particularity when there is uncertainty. Thank you for your kindness. Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
4 of 14  Sun 2nd Jul 2017 3:22pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1642

JULY A dear old gentleman with manner bright and warm Whose smiling face lights up the day from early morn Whose golden sunshine brings forth the corn Then without reason, let me be born He lifts his head and roses bloom to glad the season The air is warm throughout the day, to winter woollies we say nay and with a wink and a flourish he waves the clouds away.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 14  Sun 16th Jul 2017 9:22am  

Morning all Wave Regional Forecast for West Midlands Headline: Cloudy skies and patchy rain easing. Today: It will be a rather grey and damp start to the day. Into the afternoon it will become brighter from the north, with some sunshine, but the cloud may linger in the south. Maximum temperature 24 °C. Tonight: Clear skies will develop for all areas tonight, with light winds. It will be a fresher night than recently, and more comfortable for sleeping. Minimum temperature 10 °C. Monday: Tomorrow will be fine and dry, with plenty of warm sunshine and light winds through the day. Maximum temperature 25 °C. Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday: Tuesday will be sunny, however thunderstorms will arrive into Wednesday, and it will be very warm. These should clear on Thursday though, to give some sunshine. Updated: 03:01 on Sun 16 Jul 2017 BST
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
6 of 14  Mon 17th Jul 2017 6:21pm  

Hi all Wave Weather warnings for Tuesday & Wednesday.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
7 of 14  Tue 18th Jul 2017 7:31am  

Morning all Wave With weather warnings in force for the early hours tomorrow morning, as well as some rain showing up on the radar south of Coventry right now, please use the DIY weather - just click on this link to see rain radar. ps. The link is self-updating, so even if you click on it in a week's time, you will get the current scenario at that point in time. Update at 11.30am Storm risk area map.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
8 of 14  Tue 18th Jul 2017 6:31pm  

Hi all Wave Even with the storm-risk forecasts, it looks like another watering-can evening.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
9 of 14  Tue 18th Jul 2017 9:59pm  

Evening all Wave It is so difficult to forecast exactly where storm cells are going to develop. A huge storm is currently rattling the area of the Chilterns as seen on our Current Radar of Lightning & Rain chart. This storm appears to be travelling towards Cambridge. The storms today have caused havoc on the south coast of Cornwall as reported on BBC news this evening. Another lighter pulse of rain is travelling towards Coventry from South Wales, but whether it will intensify into a thunder storm, or fragment, it is not known. So we might get a spot of rain around midnight, sad as I have already watered our pots.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
10 of 14  Wed 19th Jul 2017 3:54am  

Hi all Wave Rain here at 3am, more expected at around 6am. Three lightning flashes recorded to the east.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
11 of 14  Wed 19th Jul 2017 8:54am  

Hi all Wave Mid week forecast as usual, but I will post a fresh one tomorrow, as we may have a scenario game change. Regional Forecast for West Midlands Headline: Warm and humid with thundery showers possible. Today: Thundery showers pushing north early this morning, with some bright, warm and humid sunshine elsewhere. Further heavy thunderstorms are possible in the afternoon, with a risk of hail, strong winds and torrential downpours, mainly across north counties Maximum temperature 29 °C. Tonight: This evening will be largely dry at first, but further heavy showers will push in from the west overnight, with largely cloudy skies. Minimum temperature 12 °C. Thursday: Showery rain will continue to push eastwards through the morning, bringing cooler and fresher conditions. The rest of the day will stay largely dry with some sunshine and freshening winds. Maximum temperature 20 °C. Outlook for Friday to Sunday: Persistent rain and strong winds sweeping eastwards Friday. Generally unsettled and rather cool over the weekend with showers or longer spells of rain. Breezy at times. Some brighter spells likely. Updated: 04:38 on Wed 19 Jul 2017 BST
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 14  Wed 19th Jul 2017 11:07pm  

Hi all Wave The exceptionally unstable air masses that have characterised our weather for the last thirty six hours are dissipating, as our Atlantic westerly air-flow resumes its domination. The current charts are not showing up anything so unstable for the next seven days. Predominating low barometer pressure is going to give us a period of typical UK unsettled weather, probably into the start of next week with periods of wet & dry, windy sometimes too, so it's a case of making the best of the dryer interludes. The science of understanding the intricate way that air-masses behave is well beyond me, as they collide, mix, or veer over or under each other. Our old friend the jet stream, which is the force that presets our weather, cannot make its mind up either, as it currently swirls in its own loops over the UK. Making a hobby for myself of providing these bulletins has taught me so much about the science of our weather. Two significant points are that (one), it is the position of the jet stream & what it is doing that is the main driver of our weather, along with (two), the collision of air-masses that produces the circumstances for rainfall generation. It's not just a cloud that floats along & drops its water, it's more that the air-mass mixing generates the cloud that then produces the rainfall. The temperature gradient, along with height & pressure dictate the rainfall amounts with what the experts call convection layers, which in yesterday's scenario there were several layers. Over 28,000 lightning discharges were recorded over the UK in twenty four hours. Some of those were from cloud to cloud or layer to layer, never reaching the ground. Two such high altitude discharges were recorded over Coventry around midnight last night, so high that no thunder was heard or even detected. It was a couple of hours later when we were seeing lightning & hearing thunder associated with a rain plume, that Tricia on breakfast wireless described as torrential from where she lives in Wyken. Holbrooks had heavy rain & a few claps of thunder around 3am, whilst my friends in Bedworth had very little. Anyway, after all that dribble, to summarise the weather theme over the coming days is unsettled & changeable, more in keeping with what we are accustomed to here in the UK & for us in Coventry.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
13 of 14  Fri 21st Jul 2017 9:30am  

Morning all Wave Regional Forecast for West Midlands Headline: Patchy rain and cloudy skies. Today: After a rather cloudy start with some showery rain, it will become brighter for a time before further rain arrives from the west this afternoon, turning heavy at times. Maximum temperature 20 °C. Tonight: The heavy rain will clear eastwards through the early hours on Saturday. By dawn clear spells will develop, with light winds. Minimum temperature 11 °C. Saturday: Saturday will be a day of sunshine and showers. The showers will often be heavy, with the risk of hail and thunder too. Maximum temperature 19 °C. Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday: The heavy and potentially thundery showers will continue on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday will then be largely dry and bright, with some sunny spells and light winds. Updated: 04:28 on Fri 21 Jul 2017 BST
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
14 of 14  Fri 21st Jul 2017 10:50am  

Hi all Wave It is difficult to predict the actual rainfall periods as the rain belt is doing a Catherine-wheel, or hurdy-gurdy, depending where you come from. DIY Weather. Just click on this link to see rain radar.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Jaguar Car Racing
|

Next (newer) topic

Today! (General Non-Coventry Current Issues)
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 77ms)