No actionNo action
6 posts:
Order:    

w-aussie
perth w.a.
All posts by this member
1 of 6  Sat 24th Jun 2017 7:09am  
Member: Joined Nov 2016  Total posts:14

I remember the Wolseley cars, mine was an ex Yorkshire? police with o/drive on 2, 3 & 4 gears & all the essential driving equipment on the rhs. presumably so the prisoner couldn't get to it - there was a bracket on the lh door (for hand cuffs!!) I had trouble selling it when I emigrated due to very high fuel consumption & people were buying smaller cars, it was still in good nick but only got about 20 quid for it. I drove a 100t low loader over here, & when travelling fully loaded the computer would show it was doing 900 metres to 1 litre of diesel
john dearsley

Wolseley Cars
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
2 of 6  Sat 24th Jun 2017 10:05am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:856

I owned two Wolseley cars. First the 4/44, nice car but really heavy on petrol. Mine also had overdrive on two, three and four but I think that was due to some mechanical issue as I also owned a Standard Vanguard that developed the same problem. The 4/44 was a clone of the Riley Pathfinder. My second Wolseley was the 1500. That car was a real gem, certainly the most favourite car I have ever owned. Better than the bit of German tin that I am about to get rid of.
Just old and knackered

Wolseley Cars
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
3 of 6  Sat 24th Jun 2017 10:06am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3852

Hi all Wave Hope you like my model picture at Bramble Grove. My mum driving my cousin & I in her Wolseley 6/80 about 1958ish
Wolseley Cars
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 6  Sun 25th Jun 2017 5:35pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:171

On 24th Jun 2017 10:05am, Norman Conquest said: I owned two Wolseley cars. First the 4/44, nice car but really heavy on petrol. Mine also had overdrive on two, three and four but I think that was due to some mechanical issue as I also owned a Standard Vanguard that developed the same problem. The 4/44 was a clone of the Riley Pathfinder. My second Wolseley was the 1500. That car was a real gem, certainly the most favourite car I have ever owned. Better than the bit of German tin that I am about to get rid of.
Norman, the Riley was bigger than the Wolseley and had a bigger engine, 2500cc as opposed to the 1500cc BMC engine.
Wolseley Cars
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 6  Sun 25th Jun 2017 8:00pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:272

Yes Matchle55, the 4/44 was underpowered and if my memory serves me correctly the engine was only 1250. The Riley and Wolseley bodies were identical except for minor details such as the badge. Interior was also similar with walnut dash and other refinements. The suspension left much to be desired, think the rear was just damped leaf springs.
Wolseley Cars
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 6  Mon 26th Jun 2017 9:02am  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:171

I stand corrected Les, Blush , there was a 4/44 at the Riley rally yesterday. A past member of my local car club had an MG equivalent, the Magnette, I will never understand why a Riley equivalent was never built, or was it because they built the Pathfinder ?.
Wolseley Cars

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Old Coventry postcards
|

Next (newer) topic

Retirement
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 52ms)