No actionNo action
152 posts:
Order:    

AndrewT
Berkshire
All posts by this member
151 of 152  Mon 8th Jun 2020 2:42pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2020  Total posts:6

Bert was operations manager when I was the programming manager. I seem to remember Bert drove a large Ford Zephyr Mark III. We always had a Monday morning meeting with David Tyler, the computer services manager, where Bert and I would negotiate the amount of computer time available to the developers. Bert always erred on the cautious side, but regularly made more time available as the week progressed when it became clear that he could relax his cautious attitude. On the plus side, this encouraged the programming team to desk check their code to locate errors that would have stopped their test from completing. These basic disciplines have proved invaluable over the years. I remember the horrors of the paper tape reader and the elastic bands. Updates to the share register were provided on paper tape from Burroughs machines in the Braintree office. I tried to replace these in 1976 when I looked at the share registrar’s systems but, as often the case, there was no budget available to update their ageing equipment. My first task when I joined in 1966 was part of a project to drive a graph plotting machine with a paper tape reader that would automate the sizing of garments for clothing manufacturers. Compute time was at a premium so we ended up splicing bits of paper tape together and using a tape punch to correct minor coding errors. I can also remember dropping a few trays of cards over the years and having to reassemble them in the correct order. Most of the programmers became fairly adept at using the hand card punch, three fingers at a time, and red sticky tabs to cover up holes punched in error.
Courtaulds
Disorganised1
Coventry
All posts by this member
152 of 152  Fri 12th Jun 2020 11:25am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:259

It was Roger Bowler, but his wife wasn't Terri. Terri (McKeirnan ?) worked in Data Control, Roger's wife was Pat, she was in charge of the punch room.
Courtaulds

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 152 of 152 posts

Page 11 of 11

1 2 3 4 5 . 7 8 9 10 11
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Folly Lane
|

Next (newer) topic

Scouts & Guides in Coventry