No actionNo action
630 posts:
Order:    

bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
616 of 630  Sun 6th Jan 2019 7:19pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:262

From my experience Philip, weed dealers are not that meticulous and are even quite sloppy in their operations. Maybe something harder?
Today! (Current Coventry Issues)
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
617 of 630  Tue 9th Jul 2019 10:14am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5467

Plans to demolish Vincent Wyles House at Wyken announced
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
618 of 630  Thu 11th Jul 2019 1:56am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:295

Gosh I can remember them building that!
True Blue Coventry Kid

JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
619 of 630  Thu 11th Jul 2019 2:20am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:295

On 5th Jan 2019 7:52pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Hi all Cheers It's amazing what you see from a bus, double deck or single. That has been in the news of late, with crime-spies, watching for drivers using phones & so on. I may have witnessed a crime taking place in the Stoke area of Coventry, during my commute to UHCW. I am not going into graphic location details, but this may be the plot, involving three vehicles. A weed seller operating from his car. A taller vehicle say a van, the lookout. Then the weed feed vehicle. The seller car parked in a quiet street. The van some distance away, but has vision of the sellers car. Then the weed feed car, parked well out of sight, where the occupant walks to the seller car with each individual supply in between each customer. The lookout van driver coordinates the movements of both customers & supply. Now, either I have a very vivid imagination, or I was witnessing a weed sale. What made me more suspicious was seeing the same scenario in the same location on two consecutive evenings. That was a couple of weeks ago, but not seen it since, well not there anyway. That three vehicle syndrome has all that it needs for criminals to carry out their version of a car-boot sale. So if you see an unusual car parked, where you live, with folks going to it quite orderly, then you see a parked van with someone texting, where it is obvious that their No 29 from the Chinese takeaway would have arrived & been eaten five times over, you might be witnessing a car-boot weed sale - who knows.
I've worked in criminology for forty years, and I would suspect you've got it right. It's amazing how people think that the police can stop it - they can't be everywhere, but the drug pushers can!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
620 of 630  Mon 12th Aug 2019 11:12am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5467

Gala Bingo Hall - what’s happening?
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
621 of 630  Tue 22nd Oct 2019 4:35pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:223

The Government has published an index of multiple depravation (1= Most Deprived, 10 = Least Deprived). This is available as a street level Map View. The link is centred on Coventry, but you can zoom in/out to view the whole country. Peter.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
622 of 630  Tue 22nd Oct 2019 11:58pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4204

Hi PeterB Wave I knew of its existence but I haven't until today ever seen it. Thank you for that. I wonder what data sources have been used. Could it be a ratio of benefit claimants, income taxation, but what else, that is factual? Accountancy has become very plasticard these days, where accounts are made to look like what is expected sometimes.
Not Local
Bedworth
All posts by this member
623 of 630  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 8:07pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:252

If the designation for my own house in Bedworth is anything to go by this is not very accurate at all. According to this I should have all sorts of people knocking on my door offering to help me escape the second level of deprivation, yet if they did call they would be disappointed to find a very ordinary 1960's development of semi detached and detached houses plus a few bungalows which are in the main occupied by owner occupiers. A friend's house in Bedworth is also shown in the second lowest level but most people would be happy to live in this 1970's development of properties in the highest price brackets for Bedworth. Perhaps someone just assumes we are bound to be deprived because we live in Bedworth? To me this questions the accuracy of the whole thing.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
624 of 630  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 8:35pm  

The Index of Multiple Deprivation is made up of the following components. • Income Deprivation (22.5%) • Employment Deprivation (22.5%) • Education, Skills and Training Deprivation (13.5%) • Health Deprivation and Disability (13.5%) • Crime (9.3%) • Barriers to Housing and Services (9.3%) • Living Environment Deprivation (9.3%) I was surprised that my house (Mount Nod) was shown as least deprived, it is a 1960's estate. But when you think about it the area has good schools and most people have jobs and with few pensioners we probably score well for health and we have a low crime. Income deprivation is a measure of income below the minimum. You don't get bonus points if an area has an above average income. The only thing we are really deprived of is parking spaces. Peter.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
625 of 630  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 8:50pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4204

Hi PeterB Wave What is so interesting is how red coloured streets are cheek by jowl right next to green streets. That tends to blow the post code strategy for all manner of categories. For example, my motor insurance is £60 more per annum for me living in CV6. Yet my street is yellow, just about half way in the colour chart.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
626 of 630  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 10:32pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:554

61.27% of all statistics are inaccurate.
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
627 of 630  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 11:03pm  

Phil, Deprivation is not the same as insurance risk (if anything poorer neighbourhood = less expensive cars to bump into). There is obviously some zoning going on as the new Amazon warehouse is split over two zones (and nobody lives there). I reckon about 10 postcodes (~600 houses) per map zone and the zone boundaries don't always follow logical housing type boundaries. Allesley is 6th which I found surprising. I would have thought 8-9th (loses points for ill health due to elderly population). Peter.
Wearethemods
628 of 630  Thu 24th Oct 2019 9:40am  
Off-topic / chat  

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
629 of 630  Tue 12th Nov 2019 9:36am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2404

That naff green escalator that ruined the view along the Precinct has finally gone! (Pic (c) the Telegraph). You can see in the background they have added a new one 'internally' for those with restricted access inside what was the old ramp down to the old West Orchard car park. Edited by member, 12th Nov 2019 9:37 am
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
630 of 630  Thu 14th Nov 2019 11:35am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2404

As a follow up to this - I'm hearing that the curved walkways from the top of the ramp are going as well. Daftly that will leave us with a 'ramp to nowhere'. Apparently the Council don't have the funds to compulsarily purchase the jewellers underneath to resurrect the original view over Broadgate. BTW I have just added a couple of events in the Events listing for tomorrow and Saturday if anyone is interested.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 616 to 630 of 630 posts

Page 42 of 42

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .. 38 39 40 41 42
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Churchfield High School
|

Next (newer) topic

Warwick Lane